* building with libotf
@ 2008-08-07 19:25 Frederik Hohlfeld
From: Frederik Hohlfeld @ 2008-08-07 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi there

I'm configuring a current CVS Emacs on Debian Lenny with
libotf-dev 0.9.4 installed:

./configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-makeinfo
--with-libotf

At the end I'm getting this:

  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no

How do I persuade Emacs to use my OTF library?

Thanks for reading
Frederik Hohlfeld

* Re: building with libotf
@ 2008-08-08  0:31 ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2008-08-08  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Frederik Hohlfeld wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I'm configuring a current CVS Emacs on Debian Lenny with
> libotf-dev 0.9.4 installed:
>
> ./configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-makeinfo
> --with-libotf
>
> At the end I'm getting this:
>
>   Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
>   Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              yes
>   Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
>   Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes
>   Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no
>

> How do I persuade Emacs to use my OTF library?
>
> Thanks for reading
> Frederik Hohlfeld

No problem on Fedora F9, so it should work.  I'm building on x86_64, if that matters.

* Re: building with libotf
@ 2008-08-08  6:52 ` Yavor Doganov
From: Yavor Doganov @ 2008-08-08  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Frederik Hohlfeld wrote:

> I'm configuring a current CVS Emacs on Debian Lenny with
> libotf-dev 0.9.4 installed:

This version doesn't have a pkg-config file, and Emacs uses the usual
PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro for this detection.

There is a Debian bug about this, see http://bugs.debian.org/466815.

* Re: building with libotf
@ 2008-08-08  7:07   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-08-08  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yavor Doganov; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <87y738dmmp.GNU's_Not_Unix!%yavor@gnu.org>, Yavor Doganov <yavor@gnu.org> writes:

> Frederik Hohlfeld wrote:
> >
> > I'm configuring a current CVS Emacs on Debian Lenny with
> > libotf-dev 0.9.4 installed:

> This version doesn't have a pkg-config file, and Emacs uses the usual
> PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro for this detection.

> There is a Debian bug about this, see http://bugs.debian.org/466815.

Yes. libotf started to provide libotf.pc for pkgconfig from
version 0.9.5.  I recommend to use the latest version 0.9.8
because some fonts distributed with the latest
ttf-devanagari-fonts package have incorrect OTF data which
causes the old version of libotf segfault.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: building with libotf
@ 2008-08-08 17:42     ` Frederik Hohlfeld
From: Frederik Hohlfeld @ 2008-08-08 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa <handa <at> m17n.org> writes:

> > This version doesn't have a pkg-config file, and Emacs uses the usual
> > PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro for this detection.
>
> > There is a Debian bug about this, see http://bugs.debian.org/466815.
>
> Yes. libotf started to provide libotf.pc for pkgconfig from
> version 0.9.5.  I recommend to use the latest version 0.9.8
> because some fonts distributed with the latest
> ttf-devanagari-fonts package have incorrect OTF data which
> causes the old version of libotf segfault.

I don't care too much about Devanagari and am not very eager to compile libotf
myself.

Is there an easy workaround, so that Emacs recognizes libotf and builds against
it nevertheless?

Thanks for reading
Frederik Hohlfeld

* Re: building with libotf
@ 2008-08-08 19:26       ` Neal Becker
From: Neal Becker @ 2008-08-08 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Frederik Hohlfeld wrote:

> Kenichi Handa <handa <at> m17n.org> writes:
>
>> > This version doesn't have a pkg-config file, and Emacs uses the usual
>> > PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro for this detection.
>>
>> > There is a Debian bug about this, see http://bugs.debian.org/466815.
>>
>> Yes. libotf started to provide libotf.pc for pkgconfig from
>> version 0.9.5.  I recommend to use the latest version 0.9.8
>> because some fonts distributed with the latest
>> ttf-devanagari-fonts package have incorrect OTF data which
>> causes the old version of libotf segfault.
>
> I don't care too much about Devanagari and am not very eager to compile
> libotf myself.
>
> Is there an easy workaround, so that Emacs recognizes libotf and builds
> against it nevertheless?
>
> Thanks for reading
> Frederik Hohlfeld

On fedora I use this:
prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=/usr
libdir=/usr/lib64
includedir=/usr/include

Name: libotf
Version: 0.9.8
Requires: freetype2
Libs: -lfreetype -L${libdir} -lotf
Cflags: -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I${includedir}

* Re: building with libotf
@ 2008-08-09  5:49         ` Frederik Hohlfeld
From: Frederik Hohlfeld @ 2008-08-09  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Neal Becker <ndbecker2 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On fedora I use this:
> prefix=/usr
> exec_prefix=/usr
> libdir=/usr/lib64
> includedir=/usr/include
>
> Name: libotf
> Version: 0.9.8
> Requires: freetype2
> Libs: -lfreetype -L${libdir} -lotf
> Cflags: -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I${includedir}

Is that such a pkgconfig file? Where do I put that?

Thanks for reading
Frederik Hohlfeld

* Re: building with libotf
@ 2008-08-09  7:23           ` Frederik Hohlfeld
From: Frederik Hohlfeld @ 2008-08-09  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Frederik Hohlfeld <frederik.hohlfeld <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Is that such a pkgconfig file? Where do I put that?

Yes, it is, and I put it into /usr/lib/pkgconfig.

Thanks very much.

Frederik Hohlfeld