* frame auto-unmaximized
@ 2009-07-06 14:33 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2009-07-06 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

with the current cvs head under gnome:
emacs -q
click on the "maximize" button (upper right corner, 2nd from right).
the emacs frame is maximized.
C-M-<right> to go to the next workspace
C-M-<left> to go back to the emacs workspace
observe that the emacs frame is no longer maximized.
I hope this is not the intended behavior!

* Re: frame auto-unmaximized
@ 2009-07-06 15:00 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-07-06 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sam Steingold skrev:
> with the current cvs head under gnome:
> emacs -q
> click on the "maximize" button (upper right corner, 2nd from right).
> the emacs frame is maximized.
> C-M-<right> to go to the next workspace
> C-M-<left> to go back to the emacs workspace
> observe that the emacs frame is no longer maximized.
> I hope this is not the intended behavior!

No, it sounds like a bug.  Are you using metacity or something else (compiz
perhaps)?

	Jan D.

* Re: frame auto-unmaximized
@ 2009-07-06 15:37   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-06 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Sam Steingold, emacs-devel

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
> Sam Steingold skrev:
>> with the current cvs head under gnome:
>> emacs -q
>> click on the "maximize" button (upper right corner, 2nd from right).
>> the emacs frame is maximized.
>> C-M-<right> to go to the next workspace
>> C-M-<left> to go back to the emacs workspace
>> observe that the emacs frame is no longer maximized.
>> I hope this is not the intended behavior!

Also, the frame doesn't stay in the background (behind other windows) if
switching workspaces.

I've sent two bug-reports about these two issues (sorry, still don't
know how I could link to them here or anywhere. Are they somwhere on the
net?).

  Sebastian

* Re: frame auto-unmaximized
@ 2009-07-06 16:05     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-06 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>> Sam Steingold skrev:
>>> with the current cvs head under gnome:
>>> emacs -q
>>> click on the "maximize" button (upper right corner, 2nd from right).
>>> the emacs frame is maximized.
>>> C-M-<right> to go to the next workspace
>>> C-M-<left> to go back to the emacs workspace
>>> observe that the emacs frame is no longer maximized.
>>> I hope this is not the intended behavior!
>

> Also, the frame doesn't stay in the background (behind other windows) if
> switching workspaces.
>
> I've sent two bug-reports about these two issues (sorry, still don't
> know how I could link to them here or anywhere. Are they somwhere on the
> net?).

ah - OK - it's in the reply I got :)

* Re: frame auto-unmaximized
@ 2009-07-06 16:11   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2009-07-06 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Jan Djärv<jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:
> Sam Steingold skrev:
>>
>> with the current cvs head under gnome:
>> emacs -q
>> click on the "maximize" button (upper right corner, 2nd from right).
>> the emacs frame is maximized.
>> C-M-<right> to go to the next workspace
>> C-M-<left> to go back to the emacs workspace
>> observe that the emacs frame is no longer maximized.
>> I hope this is not the intended behavior!
>>

> No, it sounds like a bug.  Are you using metacity or something else (compiz
> perhaps)?

metacity.
this is "CentOS release 5.3 (Final)"

thanks.

--
Sam Steingold <http://sds.podval.org>

* Re: frame auto-unmaximized
@ 2009-07-06 17:09     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-06 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: Jan Djärv, emacs-devel

Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Jan Djärv<jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:
>> Sam Steingold skrev:
>>>
>>> with the current cvs head under gnome:
>>> emacs -q
>>> click on the "maximize" button (upper right corner, 2nd from right).
>>> the emacs frame is maximized.
>>> C-M-<right> to go to the next workspace
>>> C-M-<left> to go back to the emacs workspace
>>> observe that the emacs frame is no longer maximized.
>>> I hope this is not the intended behavior!
>>>

>> No, it sounds like a bug.  Are you using metacity or something else (compiz
>> perhaps)?
>
> metacity.
> this is "CentOS release 5.3 (Final)"
>
> thanks.

Dito. Metacity, Debian testing. Only emacs behaves like this.

Gracias

  Sebastian

* Re: frame auto-unmaximized
@ 2009-07-07  6:03   ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-07-07  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Sam Steingold, emacs-devel

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 17:00:36 +0200, Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:
> Sam Steingold skrev:
>> with the current cvs head under gnome:
>> emacs -q
>> click on the "maximize" button (upper right corner, 2nd from right).
>> the emacs frame is maximized.
>> C-M-<right> to go to the next workspace
>> C-M-<left> to go back to the emacs workspace
>> observe that the emacs frame is no longer maximized.
>> I hope this is not the intended behavior!
>
> No, it sounds like a bug.  Are you using metacity or something else
> (compiz perhaps)?

Metacity is what I'm using here too, and I see the same bug.

* Re: frame auto-unmaximized
@ 2009-07-07  6:33     ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2009-07-07  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: Jan Djärv, emacs-devel

Sam Steingold writes:
 > On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Jan Djärv<jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:
 > > Sam Steingold skrev:
 > >>
 > >> with the current cvs head under gnome:
 > >> emacs -q
 > >> click on the "maximize" button (upper right corner, 2nd from right).
 > >> the emacs frame is maximized.
 > >> C-M-<right> to go to the next workspace
 > >> C-M-<left> to go back to the emacs workspace
 > >> observe that the emacs frame is no longer maximized.
 > >> I hope this is not the intended behavior!
 > >>

 > > No, it sounds like a bug.  Are you using metacity or something else (compiz
 > > perhaps)?
 >
 > metacity.

Metacity doesn't bother to remember that *it* maximized the app (the
app of course has no power to do so), and so happily fullfils a
request from the app to return to its natural size.  I forget the
details, but this is a particular behavior of metacity and KDE's
default WM; other WMs do remember that they've maximized the window
and refuse future requests unless they come from the user.

I think it's more in line with user expectations if the WM remembers,
but evidently Havoc thinks differently.

I believe that there is a way for the WM to differentiate between a
request by a program that is obeying an explicit command from the user
to request a window configuration, and a program that is simply making
a request based on widget resources.  The WM of course should respect
the former, and ignore the latter if it has its own mandate from the
user.  Again I forget the details, but it may be that metacity ignores
this difference.

* Re: frame auto-unmaximized
@ 2009-07-07  8:50 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-07-07  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Steingold; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sam Steingold skrev:
> with the current cvs head under gnome:
> emacs -q
> click on the "maximize" button (upper right corner, 2nd from right).
> the emacs frame is maximized.
> C-M-<right> to go to the next workspace
> C-M-<left> to go back to the emacs workspace
> observe that the emacs frame is no longer maximized.
> I hope this is not the intended behavior!

This should be fixed now.

Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Also, the frame doesn't stay in the background (behind other windows) if
> switching workspaces.
>
> I've sent two bug-reports about these two issues (sorry, still don't
> know how I could link to them here or anywhere. Are they somwhere on the
> net?).

The cause for this is the same.  I have closed the two bugs.

	Jan D.

* Re: frame auto-unmaximized
@ 2009-07-07  8:56       ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-07-07  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: Sam Steingold, emacs-devel

Stephen J. Turnbull skrev:
> Sam Steingold writes:
>  > On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Jan Djärv<jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:
>  > > Sam Steingold skrev:
>  > >>
>  > >> with the current cvs head under gnome:
>  > >> emacs -q
>  > >> click on the "maximize" button (upper right corner, 2nd from right).
>  > >> the emacs frame is maximized.
>  > >> C-M-<right> to go to the next workspace
>  > >> C-M-<left> to go back to the emacs workspace
>  > >> observe that the emacs frame is no longer maximized.
>  > >> I hope this is not the intended behavior!
>  > >>
>  > >
>  > > No, it sounds like a bug.  Are you using metacity or something else (compiz
>  > > perhaps)?
>  >
>  > metacity.
>
> Metacity doesn't bother to remember that *it* maximized the app (the
> app of course has no power to do so), and so happily fullfils a
> request from the app to return to its natural size.  I forget the
> details, but this is a particular behavior of metacity and KDE's
> default WM; other WMs do remember that they've maximized the window
> and refuse future requests unless they come from the user.

Indeed.  Emacs did request to be unmaximized when switching desktops (that was
the bug).  There is some wording in the EMWH-spec about withdrawn windows.
Apparently applications can reuse withdrawn windows for other purposes, so if
the WM remembers the setting, it would be wrong.  Not that I know of any
application that reuses withdrawn windows for something else.

	Jan D.

* Re: frame auto-unmaximized
@ 2009-07-07 15:07   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-07 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: Sam Steingold, emacs-devel

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
> Sam Steingold skrev:
>> with the current cvs head under gnome:
>> emacs -q
>> click on the "maximize" button (upper right corner, 2nd from right).
>> the emacs frame is maximized.
>> C-M-<right> to go to the next workspace
>> C-M-<left> to go back to the emacs workspace
>> observe that the emacs frame is no longer maximized.
>> I hope this is not the intended behavior!
>>

> This should be fixed now.
>
> Sebastian Rose wrote:
>
>> Also, the frame doesn't stay in the background (behind other windows) if
>> switching workspaces.
>>
>> I've sent two bug-reports about these two issues (sorry, still don't
>> know how I could link to them here or anywhere. Are they somwhere on the
>> net?).
>
> The cause for this is the same.  I have closed the two bugs.

Yes! Works like a charm :)

Thanks a lot

   Sebastian