* eww and Javascript?
@ 2014-01-14 17:09 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-01-14 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Does eww run Javascript code?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110
USA
www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
  Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call.

* Re: eww and Javascript?
@ 2014-01-14 17:13 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-01-14 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Does eww run Javascript code?

No.

* Re: eww and Javascript?
@ 2014-01-15  1:18   ` Kenjiro NAKAYAMA
From: Kenjiro NAKAYAMA @ 2014-01-15  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Richard Stallman, emacs-devel

> > Does eww run Javascript code?
>
> No.

This qustion will be asked many times in the future. So I want to be more clear.
At this time, eww has no plan to add javascript engine?
I recognize eww is simple browser and it has no intention of adding rich function.

Kenjiro

larsi@gnus.org writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Does eww run Javascript code?
>
> No.

* Re: eww and Javascript?
@ 2014-01-15  1:47     ` Rüdiger Sonderfeld
From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld @ 2014-01-15  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Kenjiro NAKAYAMA, Richard Stallman

On Wednesday 15 January 2014 10:18:35 Kenjiro NAKAYAMA wrote:
> > > Does eww run Javascript code?
> >
> > No.
>
> This qustion will be asked many times in the future. So I want to be more
> clear. At this time, eww has no plan to add javascript engine?
> I recognize eww is simple browser and it has no intention of adding rich
> function.

Well technically a limited support might be possible.  Steve Yegge wrote a
JavaScript interpreter for elisp called Ejacs[1].  But providing proper
JavaScript support would require implementing the DOM and then we would still
be faced by the fact that Emacs display model is too limited for full HTML and
CSS rendering (Although work on WYSIWYG functionality will certainly help
improving what EWW/`shr.el' can render).  So all in all it would require a lot
of work and yield very little in practical terms.

I think the main use case for EWW will be reading documentation written in
HTML, bug trackers, and other simple websites.  None of which should really
require JavaScript or fancy CSS layouts.  It should be noted that EWW does
support some HTML5 features.  At least without JavaScript we don't have to
worry about all the security and privacy implications.

If we want a "full browser experience" within GNU Emacs then the best bet is
probably the xwidget branch and embedding an existing rendering engine.

[1] https://code.google.com/p/ejacs/wiki/README

Regards,
Rüdiger

* Re: eww and Javascript?
@ 2014-01-15  4:04   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-01-15  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: emacs-devel

That is a relief -- see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-01-15  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenjiro NAKAYAMA; +Cc: emacs-devel

Kenjiro NAKAYAMA <nakayamakenjiro@gmail.com> writes:

> At this time, eww has no plan to add javascript engine?

No.  eww is barely fast enough as it is.  Preserving the DOM in such a
way that Javascript could meaningfully be run would slow things down
drastically, I think.

* Re: eww and Javascript?
@ 2014-01-15 12:01     ` Jordan Wilson
From: Jordan Wilson @ 2014-01-15 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms <at> gnu.org> writes:

>     > Does eww run Javascript code?
>
>     No.
>
> That is a relief -- see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-
trap.html.

Even if it did, wouldn't (setq eww-allow-javascript nil) be pretty easy to
implement?

Regards,
Jordan.

* Re: eww and Javascript?
@ 2014-01-15 12:30     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-01-15 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenjiro NAKAYAMA; +Cc: larsi, emacs-devel

It is a relief to know that EWW is not likely to handle Javascript,
because that means we don't need to confront the issue described in
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html.

    At this time, eww has no plan to add javascript engine?
    I recognize eww is simple browser and it has no intention of adding rich function.

I suggest stating that in a comment in the source file too.

--

@ 2014-01-16 17:53       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-01-16 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jordan Wilson; +Cc: emacs-devel

    > That is a relief -- see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-
    trap.html.

    Even if it did, wouldn't (setq eww-allow-javascript nil) be pretty easy to
    implement?

It would be easy but it would not really solve the problem.
We would still be systematically leading people to run nonfree software.
The mere fact that they COULD avoid it isn't enough to excuse our
leading them too it.