* gnus-bug
@ 2019-04-30 10:14 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-04-30 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

Not sure whether that was asked before. Gnus is now part of GNU emacs,
should I still use

    1. gnus-bug

    2. Or report-emacs-bug?

BTW, if gnus-bug should not be used, I suggest to remove it.
In case I can use it  I think the naming should be unified. So
report-gnus-bug instead of gnus-bug.

Uwe Brauer

* Re: gnus-bug
@ 2019-04-30 13:07 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2019-04-30 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Not sure whether that was asked before. Gnus is now part of GNU emacs,
> should I still use
>
>     1. gnus-bug
>     2. Or report-emacs-bug?

The end result is always the same, a report in debbugs.  What's a bit
different is the default text inserted into the message.

> BTW, if gnus-bug should not be used, I suggest to remove it.
> In case I can use it  I think the naming should be unified. So
> report-gnus-bug instead of gnus-bug.

I guess the name is that way because it's the original name, and because
usually all functions of a package start with the package name.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: gnus-bug
@ 2019-04-30 13:40   ` Basil L. Contovounesios
From: Basil L. Contovounesios @ 2019-04-30 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>> Not sure whether that was asked before. Gnus is now part of GNU emacs,
>> should I still use
>>
>>     1. gnus-bug
>>     2. Or report-emacs-bug?
>
> The end result is always the same, a report in debbugs.  What's a bit
> different is the default text inserted into the message.

Specifically, gnus-bug assigns the bug to both packages gnus and emacs,
whereas report-emacs-bug assigns it only to the emacs package.

The former is more useful for bug search and triage purposes, but the
latter includes more information about Emacs' state, so I think TRT
would be to make gnus-bug exactly like report-emacs-bug, except that it
also assigns the bug to the gnus package.

Now that Gnus is distributed with Emacs, I also think the
X-Debbugs-Version should be set to the version of Emacs, not Gnus.

While we're on the topic, can someone please have a look at bug#35239?
I think it's a pretty straightforward change and would like to push it
soon.

https://debbugs.gnu.org/35239

Basil

* Re: gnus-bug
@ 2019-04-30 15:29     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-04-30 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basil L. Contovounesios; +Cc: emacs-devel, tsdh

> From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <contovob@tcd.ie>
> Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 14:40:31 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> The former is more useful for bug search and triage purposes, but the
> latter includes more information about Emacs' state, so I think TRT
> would be to make gnus-bug exactly like report-emacs-bug, except that it
> also assigns the bug to the gnus package.

I agree.

* Re: gnus-bug
@ 2019-04-30 16:49       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-04-30 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Basil L. Contovounesios, tsdh, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <contovob@tcd.ie>
>> Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 14:40:31 +0100
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> The former is more useful for bug search and triage purposes, but the
>> latter includes more information about Emacs' state, so I think TRT
>> would be to make gnus-bug exactly like report-emacs-bug, except that it
>> also assigns the bug to the gnus package.
>
> I agree.

There was some talk a while ago about having `report-emacs-bug' prompt
for an optional sub-package (Gnus, Tramp, ERC, etc), and "do something
extra": add a tag, cc a maintainer, something like that. I still think
that's a good idea.

* Re: gnus-bug
@ 2019-04-30 17:10     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-04-30 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Now that Gnus is distributed with Emacs, I also think the

Can't resist pointing out that Gnus has been distributed with Emacs
since about forever.  The part that's changed recentishly (AFAIK) is
that Gnus development now takes place in emacs.git rather than in
another repository and that there is no attempt to distribute Gnus
separately from Emacs any more.

* Re: gnus-bug
@ 2019-04-30 17:46       ` Basil L. Contovounesios
From: Basil L. Contovounesios @ 2019-04-30 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Now that Gnus is distributed with Emacs, I also think the
>
> Can't resist pointing out that Gnus has been distributed with Emacs
> since about forever.  The part that's changed recentishly (AFAIK) is
> that Gnus development now takes place in emacs.git rather than in
> another repository and that there is no attempt to distribute Gnus
> separately from Emacs any more.

Right, thanks for clarifying that (I'm not familiar with the history of
Gnus, but the single development repo is what I was thinking of).

--
Basil

* Re: gnus-bug
@ 2019-06-26 11:33       ` Basil L. Contovounesios
From: Basil L. Contovounesios @ 2019-06-26 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, tsdh

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <contovob@tcd.ie>
>> Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 14:40:31 +0100
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> The former is more useful for bug search and triage purposes, but the
>> latter includes more information about Emacs' state, so I think TRT
>> would be to make gnus-bug exactly like report-emacs-bug, except that it
>> also assigns the bug to the gnus package.
>
> I agree.

Lars did this recently[1], thanks Lars!

[1: 68d8872875]: Use plain report-emacs-bug instead of gnus-bug
  2019-06-22 14:10:00 +0200
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=68d887287594c105a83abe712b1cfc2346a198bc

--
Basil