* Meaning of arg in preedit-text events on pgtk
       [not found] <87iluwyrf2.fsf.ref@yahoo.com>
@ 2022-01-07  6:46 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-07  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuuki Hanaro; +Cc: emacs-devel

I documented the `preedit-text' event (which is now used by both the
PGTK port and the X port), but I don't know the meaning of `arg' under
PGTK.

Yuuki, could you please write that part of the documentation?  It's
under the node "Misc Events" in doc/lispref/commands.texi.  Thanks.

Also, does this event need a NEWS entry?  It was originally specific to
the PGTK port, but after implementing the preedit text feature on X, it
might need a NEWS entry now.

Thanks.

* Re: Meaning of arg in preedit-text events on pgtk
@ 2022-01-07  9:02   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-01-07  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Yuuki Hanaro, emacs-devel

    Po> Also, does this event need a NEWS entry?  It was originally specific to
    Po> the PGTK port, but after implementing the preedit text feature on X, it
    Po> might need a NEWS entry now.

I would be good if its effect were documented in NEWS, since it causes
new things to be displayed to the user.

Robert

* Re: Meaning of arg in preedit-text events on pgtk
@ 2022-01-07  9:28     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-07  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: Yuuki Hanaro, emacs-devel

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>     Po> Also, does this event need a NEWS entry?  It was originally specific to
>     Po> the PGTK port, but after implementing the preedit text feature on X, it
>     Po> might need a NEWS entry now.
>
> I would be good if its effect were documented in NEWS, since it causes
> new things to be displayed to the user.
>
> Robert

Thanks.  Since it's now off by default, I think the entry for the
`inputStyle' resource will suffice.

* Re: Meaning of arg in preedit-text events on pgtk
@ 2022-01-07  9:42       ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2022-01-07  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Yuuki Hanaro, emacs-devel

    Po> Also, does this event need a NEWS entry?  It was originally specific to
    Po> the PGTK port, but after implementing the preedit text feature on X, it
    Po> might need a NEWS entry now.
    >>
    >> I would be good if its effect were documented in NEWS, since it causes
    >> new things to be displayed to the user.
    >>
    >> Robert

    Po> Thanks.  Since it's now off by default, I think the entry for the
    Po> `inputStyle' resource will suffice.

Yes, although itʼs not clear from the text in xresources.texi what
'offthespot' and 'root' actually do. I suspect the first means "use
the echo area", but what about the other one? Or is it "we donʼt know,
the input method has free rein"?

Robert

* Re: Meaning of arg in preedit-text events on pgtk
@ 2022-01-07 10:43         ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-07 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: Yuuki Hanaro, emacs-devel

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, although itʼs not clear from the text in xresources.texi what
> 'offthespot' and 'root' actually do. I suspect the first means "use
> the echo area", but what about the other one? Or is it "we donʼt know,
> the input method has free rein"?

With "offthespot", Emacs tells the input method to display itself on the
bottom right corner of the frame.  The XIM documentation calls this
"displaying the pre-edit information in an area provided by the client".

With "root", the input method has free rein, but each input method
should display itself in a unique spot of the display (i.e. one not
taken up by another input method).

* Re: Meaning of arg in preedit-text events on pgtk
@ 2022-01-07 12:20   ` Yuuki Harano
From: Yuuki Harano @ 2022-01-07 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luangruo; +Cc: emacs-devel

	Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I documented the `preedit-text' event (which is now used by both the
> PGTK port and the X port), but I don't know the meaning of `arg' under
> PGTK.
>
> Yuuki, could you please write that part of the documentation?  It's
> under the node "Misc Events" in doc/lispref/commands.texi.  Thanks.

I did.

--
Yuuki Harano

* Re: Meaning of arg in preedit-text events on pgtk
@ 2022-01-07 12:31     ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-01-07 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuuki Harano; +Cc: emacs-devel

Yuuki Harano <masm+emacs@masm11.me> writes: