Spencer Baugh writes: > Juri Linkov writes: > >>>> Actually there is already a nil value in completions-sort with the tag >>>> "No sorting". This works nicely for 'C-x b'. The remaining need is >>>> to be able to set it only for 'C-x b', not for other completion types. >>> >>> I feel quite strongly that we should not extend completions-sort to be >>> able to affect different completion types differently. Instead I think >>> we should leave completions-sort as a blanket configuration for what to >>> do if the completion metadata does not specify display-sort-function, >>> and if we want to allow customizing an individual completion type, that >>> completion type should specify a display-sort-function which can be >>> customized. >>> >>> If we do extend completions-sort to affect different completion types >>> differently, I expect we'll see lots of silly things, like packages with >>> new completion types which automatically install changes to >>> completions-sort instead of just specifying their own >>> display-sort-function. >> >> Probably different completion types should provide separate options >> such as e.g. 'read-char-by-name-sort' defines 'display-sort-function' >> for 'read-char-by-name'. > > Agreed. > >> The same could be added for 'C-x b'. But unfortunately currently >> it's hard-coded in 'internal-complete-buffer': >> >> #+begin_src c >> else if (EQ (flag, Qmetadata)) >> return list3 (Qmetadata, >> Fcons (Qcategory, Qbuffer), >> Fcons (Qcycle_sort_function, Qidentity)); >> #+end_src > > Not hard to fix. I will post a patch to make this customizable soon. How about this?