* po-mode/dired: feature request
@ 2004-11-10 16:52 Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2004-11-10 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I found po-mode very useful in the past. I'm now working on translations
for quite large project which has several PO files (~240) spread over
directory structure.

I'd like to be able to see the status of translations in the dired buffer
or in separate mode. Because right now, it is very ineffective to do the
translations - you do not see if the file you are about to open is already
translated or no. There are other free software tools good for this goal -
see e.g. http://i18n.kde.org/tools/kbabel/img/catalogmanager.png - but I'd
prefer to use Emacs for it.

I already contacted François Pinard and Bruno Haible but they both do not
have time for it. Anyone who is able to work on this feature?

Or do we have any generic feature to customize the dired output lines?
--
Pavel Janík

Perhaps your kernel is compiled with the option to report problems on
the lights in morse code.
                  -- davidsen@tmr.com to someone seeing kernel panic

* Re: po-mode/dired: feature request
@ 2004-11-11  9:08 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-11-11  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pavel@Janik.cz (Pavel Janík) writes:

> I'd like to be able to see the status of translations in the dired buffer
> or in separate mode. Because right now, it is very ineffective to do the
> translations - you do not see if the file you are about to open is already
> translated or no. There are other free software tools good for this goal -
> see e.g. http://i18n.kde.org/tools/kbabel/img/catalogmanager.png - but I'd
> prefer to use Emacs for it.

Perhaps it is sufficient to see the po files for the languages in
question?  I don't know anything about po files, but I seem to recall
that the language is in the name of the file, so M-x find-dired RET
could produce a buffer with the right files.

Does this help?

Kai

* Re: po-mode/dired: feature request
@ 2004-11-11  9:27   ` Pavel Janík
From: Pavel Janík @ 2004-11-11  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

   From: Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de>
   Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:08:31 +0100

   > Perhaps it is sufficient to see the po files for the languages in
   > question?

No - all files I see are in my current directory. None of them has cs or
any other language identified in the name.

It really depends on the contents of files:

pavel@snowwhite:~> msgfmt --statistics basicide.po
161 translated messages, 1 fuzzy translation, 3 untranslated messages.

I'd like to see numbers 161, 1 or 3 in some form in the dired buffer. If
there are no fuzzy and untranslated messages, the file is not "interesting"
anymore ;-)
--
Pavel Janík

Can you try to find a workaround at work?
(I guess you don't need a homearound at home. ;-)
                  -- Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> in emacs-devel

* Re: po-mode/dired: feature request
@ 2004-11-15 18:23     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-11-15 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pavel Jan?k wrote:
 > It really depends on the contents of files:
 >
 > pavel@snowwhite:~> msgfmt --statistics basicide.po
 > 161 translated messages, 1 fuzzy translation, 3 untranslated messages.
 >
 > I'd like to see numbers 161, 1 or 3 in some form in the dired buffer. If
 > there are no fuzzy and untranslated messages, the file is not
"interesting"
 > anymore ;-)

Could you instead display icons in the fringe for each file, to indicate
untranslated messages and/or fuzzy translations?

--
Kevin Rodgers