* overflow pure space
@ 2006-07-05 15:04 Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2006-07-05 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw

This morning's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Wed, 2006 Jul  5  11:47 UTC
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.20 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.18)
started with

    src/emacs -Q -D &

I saw

    Warning (initialization): Building Emacs overflowed pure space.
    (See the node Pure Storage in the Lisp manual for details.)

An additional 5 kilobytes of pure storage ended the problem; perhaps
less was needed, but five is what I added.  With nothing else slowing
the machine, it takes me more than 24 minutes to `make bootfast' so
please do not ask me to try different amounts of pure storage.

Did someone do something that caused this in the GTK+ version but not
in others?

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8

* Re: overflow pure space
@ 2006-07-05 15:42 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-07-05 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

> This morning's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Wed, 2006 Jul  5  11:47 UTC
> GNU Emacs 22.0.50.20 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.18)
> started with
>
>     src/emacs -Q -D &
>
> I saw
>
>     Warning (initialization): Building Emacs overflowed pure space.
>     (See the node Pure Storage in the Lisp manual for details.)
>
> Did someone do something that caused this in the GTK+ version but not
> in others?

I saw this too, and have checked in a patch to increment puresize.

* Re: overflow pure space
@ 2006-07-05 17:45 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2006-07-05 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

Robert J. Chassell skrev:
> This morning's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Wed, 2006 Jul  5  11:47 UTC
> GNU Emacs 22.0.50.20 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.18)
> started with
>
>     src/emacs -Q -D &
>
> I saw
>
>     Warning (initialization): Building Emacs overflowed pure space.
>     (See the node Pure Storage in the Lisp manual for details.)
>
> An additional 5 kilobytes of pure storage ended the problem; perhaps
> less was needed, but five is what I added.  With nothing else slowing
> the machine, it takes me more than 24 minutes to `make bootfast' so
> please do not ask me to try different amounts of pure storage.
>
> Did someone do something that caused this in the GTK+ version but not
> in others?

I don't know why only the GTK+ version get this.  I get it also.

	Jan D.

* Re: overflow pure space
@ 2006-07-05 18:35   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-05 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: bob, emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 11:42:03 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >     Warning (initialization): Building Emacs overflowed pure space.
> >     (See the node Pure Storage in the Lisp manual for details.)
> >
> > Did someone do something that caused this in the GTK+ version but not
> > in others?
>
> I saw this too, and have checked in a patch to increment puresize.

I'm not sure that was wise.  There's some mystery going on with
puresize; unfortunately I didn't have enough time to finish
investigating it based on Reiner's reports.  Perhaps someone could
pick up where I left off and find out the reason(s) for these
disparities.  The relevant thread is "Re: PURESIZE increased (again)".

* Re: overflow pure space
@ 2006-07-05 18:44     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-07-05 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: bob, emacs-devel, Kenichi Handa

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> >     Warning (initialization): Building Emacs overflowed pure space.
>> >     (See the node Pure Storage in the Lisp manual for details.)
>> >
>> > Did someone do something that caused this in the GTK+ version but not
>> > in others?
>>
>> I saw this too, and have checked in a patch to increment puresize.
>
> I'm not sure that was wise.  There's some mystery going on with
> puresize; unfortunately I didn't have enough time to finish
> investigating it based on Reiner's reports.  Perhaps someone could
> pick up where I left off and find out the reason(s) for these
> disparities.  The relevant thread is "Re: PURESIZE increased (again)".

FWIW, I think the puresize overflow came from the following change.

2006-07-04  Kenichi Handa  <handa@m17n.org>

	* international/mule-cmds.el (set-language-info): If LANG-ENV is
	the current one, don't call set-language-environment, but call one
	of set-language-environment-XXX to make INFO effective now.
	(set-language-environment): Call set-language-environment-XXX
	functions instead of doing the various setups directly.
	(set-language-environment-coding-systems): Delete argument eol-type.
	(set-language-environment-input-method)
	(set-language-environment-nonascii-translation)
	(set-language-environment-charset)
	(set-language-environment-fontset)
	(set-language-environment-unibyte): New functions.

* Re: overflow pure space
@ 2006-07-05 20:02 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-07-05 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:
> With nothing else slowing the machine, it takes me more than 24
> minutes to `make bootfast' so please do not ask me to try different
> amounts of pure storage.

A bit off-topic, but why do you need "make bootfast"?  A simple "make"
should work after changing the puresize...

-Miles
--
"Though they may have different meanings, the cries of 'Yeeeee-haw!' and
 'Allahu akbar!' are, in spirit, not actually all that different."

* Re: overflow pure space
@ 2006-07-05 21:52   ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2006-07-05 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

   "Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:
   > With nothing else slowing the machine, it takes me more than 24
   > minutes to `make bootfast' so please do not ask me to try different
   > amounts of pure storage.

   A bit off-topic, but why do you need "make bootfast"?  A simple "make"
   should work after changing the puresize...

Good point!

--

@ 2006-07-06  3:32       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-06  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: bob, emacs-devel, handa

> Cc: bob@rattlesnake.com, Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 14:44:48 -0400
>
> FWIW, I think the puresize overflow came from the following change.
>
> 2006-07-04  Kenichi Handa  <handa@m17n.org>
>
> 	* international/mule-cmds.el (set-language-info): If LANG-ENV is
> 	the current one, don't call set-language-environment, but call one
> 	of set-language-environment-XXX to make INFO effective now.
> 	(set-language-environment): Call set-language-environment-XXX
> 	functions instead of doing the various setups directly.
> 	(set-language-environment-coding-systems): Delete argument eol-type.
> 	(set-language-environment-input-method)
> 	(set-language-environment-nonascii-translation)
> 	(set-language-environment-charset)
> 	(set-language-environment-fontset)
> 	(set-language-environment-unibyte): New functions.

The question is not what caused the recent addition to the pure space,
the question is why some people see overflow, while others don't, on
the same platform.

* Re: overflow pure space
@ 2006-07-06 11:01         ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2006-07-06 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

> The question is not what caused the recent addition to the pure
> space, the question is why some people see overflow, while others
> don't, on the same platform.

Maybe I'm not completely following the related threads, but at least
one can see such a difference as follows:

$ make bootstrap
-> 1210372 pure bytes used

$ cd lisp
$ make bootstrap-clean
$ make compile EMACS=../src/emacs
$ cd ..
$ make clean
$ make
-> 1209036 pure bytes used
(on Mac OS X 10.4.7, X11)

I observed that .elc's compiled by bootstrap-emacs have `dolist'
expanded by cl.el, whereas those compiled by emacs have
subr.el-version.  Actually, bootstrap-emacs loads cl.el via preloaded
.el files that contain (eval-when-compile (require 'cl)), where
`eval-when-compile' just behaves like `progn'.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* Re: overflow pure space
@ 2006-07-06 11:40           ` Evil Boris
From: Evil Boris @ 2006-07-06 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw

For what it's worth, I have been using the following recipe (taken
from INSTALL.CVS, is it still valid advice?) for updating Emacs.  After
     cvs update
I do:

% gmake
% cd lisp
% gmake recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
% cd ..
% gmake

I have noticed that the amount of pure storage needed in the initial
call to gmake is different from the one needed after recompile.
(sparc-sun-solaris2.7, X toolkit).  Is this to be expected?

Specifically, the last build I tried (Jul 4) required 1210824 pure
bytes in second iteration and 1208688 in the first (so the latest
increase does not suffice).

Cheers,
        --Boris