From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
To: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc: auctex-devel@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Updating the GNU ELPA package of AucTeX
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 09:42:39 +0200	[thread overview]

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

>>> I've hoped that with the new Git ELPA, we could just checkout the
>>> savannah auctex repository as submodule, and then add some hacks to the
>>> makefiles to produce tarballs suitable for ELPA.  Won't work, no?
>>
>> No, because:
>>
>>    I'd very much prefer not having to run code from
>>    the package itself.
>>
>> so I can't just run your makefile rule(s).
>
> Ok, I see.

It is not clear to me why the act of importing a runnable version of
AUCTeX into ELPA should be precluded from running a Makefile rule.  It
is not like ELPA can directly access git repositories and extract
whatever it wants, so the import will always involve explicit steps.

> By omitting preview, that would be solved, too.

preview-latex is an integral part of AUCTeX by now.  That involved
moving files, dependencies, combining documentation and so on.  Ripping
it out of ELPA is not just going to be work, but is also not extremely
likely to make people happy.

--
David Kastrup