Lars Ingebrigtsen writes: > I was thinking something slightly more subtle. That is, if we've just > opened the file (i.e., it has not been displayed before), we should not > push the mark. And if point didn't move, we shouldn't push the mark > either, I think. I agree that there is not much reason to push mark when point does not move. I slightly disagree about the case of opening new file. I personally find it useful when the first element added to mark ring is BOB. When cycling across mark ring, BOB is a nice visual indication that I already looked across the whole ring, especially if I am searching for mark that is actually not in the mark ring (though I thought otherwise). On the other hand, it is rather a matter of personal preference. Not pushing BOB to mark ring might be a better default. Even if it not, we would probably need to change other places across the code to add BOB consistently. That's a whole other discussion. See the updated patch. Hopefully I got the news entry for Emacs 29.1 right. Best, Ihor