* Suggestion: Make cperl-mode.el an ELPA :core package
@ 2023-06-17 20:35 Harald Jörg
From: Harald Jörg @ 2023-06-17 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Developer List

Hello all,

Within the next weeks we expect the release of Perl 5.38.  This version
includes some changes which should be supported by CPerl mode.  Most
notably, there will be a builtin object system with keywords "class" and
"method", which are relevant for syntax highlighting, imenu, and
indentation.

I am currently working on adding these to cperl-mode.el.  But these
will, in the normal course of action, not be released before Emacs 30
comes out.  Therefore I'd like to make cperl-mode.el available via ELPA.

If I understand it correctly, then the file can continue to be developed
in the Emacs repository, if it is flagged as ":core".  cperl-mode.el
would need a "Version:" header so that it can be released independent of
Emacs versions.  So, if the version in cperl-mode.el is changed, ELPA
will deliver the new version.  Are there conventions where to start?
Historically cperl-mode.el had its own versioning, based on an upstream
which no longer exists.  This ended with version 6.2, the variable
cperl-version has been obsoleted as an own variable in Emacs 28.1.  I
think it would make sense to start from there and release the first ELPA
version as 7.0.

I am regularly running tests for cperl-mode.el in older Emacs versions
(and have added a few compatibility helpers).  Are there any more
changes to do?

--
Cheers,
haj

* Re: Suggestion: Make cperl-mode.el an ELPA :core package
@ 2023-06-18  8:51 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2023-06-18  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Jörg; +Cc: Emacs Developer List

Harald Jörg <haj@posteo.de> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> Within the next weeks we expect the release of Perl 5.38.  This version
> includes some changes which should be supported by CPerl mode.  Most
> notably, there will be a builtin object system with keywords "class" and
> "method", which are relevant for syntax highlighting, imenu, and
> indentation.
>
> I am currently working on adding these to cperl-mode.el.  But these
> will, in the normal course of action, not be released before Emacs 30
> comes out.  Therefore I'd like to make cperl-mode.el available via ELPA.
>
> If I understand it correctly, then the file can continue to be developed
> in the Emacs repository, if it is flagged as ":core".  cperl-mode.el
> would need a "Version:" header so that it can be released independent of
> Emacs versions.

That and it would have to be added to ELPA, but that is easy.

>                  So, if the version in cperl-mode.el is changed, ELPA
> will deliver the new version.  Are there conventions where to start?
> Historically cperl-mode.el had its own versioning, based on an upstream
> which no longer exists.  This ended with version 6.2, the variable
> cperl-version has been obsoleted as an own variable in Emacs 28.1.  I
> think it would make sense to start from there and release the first ELPA
> version as 7.0.

> I am regularly running tests for cperl-mode.el in older Emacs versions
> (and have added a few compatibility helpers).  Are there any more
> changes to do?

Not that I know of.  Though adding a "Package-Requires" header would be
useful, unless you don't depend on any newer feature in Emacs.  In this
context, you might find "Compat"[0] to be useful, in case you want/need
some recent feature but don't want implement it yourself.

[0] https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/compat.html

I don't know if there are any specific guidelines/tutorials.  A few
months ago I prepared package.el as a :core package, and all I had to go
by were old commits that hinted at what was to be done and the source
code in elpa-admin.el.

--
Philip Kaludercic