Eli Zaretskii writes: [...] > > Again, why is it our problem? If the user wants to have this sequence > for some reason, it is up to the user to select the font that displays > this properly. Emacs has no business preventing users from typing > nonsensical sequences of codepoints. > Because it does not make linguistic sense, similarly to Spanish input methods which AFAIK does not allow for multiple acute accents (acento agudo, á) on a single letter. I understand that Emacs has no business preventing users from typing nonsensical keys in Greek, but those keys/characters should exist in the Greek language. The current implementation of "greek" input method does not allow for stacking accents either. [...] > I'm not sure this is related. As I wrote, it is okay for the input > method not to support more than one tonos following a base character. > But that does not (and should not) prevent the user from typing as > many tonos accents as he/she pleases by other means. The only > requirement from Emacs is not to crash as result of displaying such > sequences. Polytonic input methods have hard coded accent combinations. Combinations of accents have specific keybinding e.g "M-Shift-q" + a for oxia and ypogegrameni with α (e.g ᾴ). Which btw I'm not sure how I can replicate in quail. -- Thanos Apollo https://thanosapollo.org