* Problem with non-bmp unicode
@ 2006-11-08  8:26 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2006-11-08  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

We received a bug report from Taneli Vahakangas <taneli.vahakangas@welho.com>
against emacs21 related to unicode and non-bmp characters.
(http://bugs.debian.org/397159)

--------------

An UTF-8 file (attached) with these three characters:
U+0022 U+00010380 U+0022
shows with "emacs -nw":
"\360\220\216\200"
which is not usable at all. The file displays correctly if I cat it.

I tried a bunch of other characters outside the BMP, all of which
fail in the same way. Characters in the BMP work nicely.

--------------

Apparently, emacs 22 shows a question mark instead of "\360\220\216\200"
but trying to delete the question mark character with backspace turn it into
"\360\220\216".

Since I'm no unicode expert, I don't know what is supposed to happen in that
case.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jérôme Marant

[-- Attachment #2: ftest --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 6 bytes --]

"𐎀"

* Re: Problem with non-bmp unicode
@ 2006-11-10 16:46 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-11-10 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> An UTF-8 file (attached) with these three characters:
> U+0022 U+00010380 U+0022
> shows with "emacs -nw":
> "\360\220\216\200"
> which is not usable at all. The file displays correctly if I cat it.
>
> I tried a bunch of other characters outside the BMP, all of which
> fail in the same way. Characters in the BMP work nicely.
>
> Apparently, emacs 22 shows a question mark instead of "\360\220\216\200"
> but trying to delete the question mark character with backspace turn it into
> "\360\220\216".

Do we support display/editing of characters outside the BMP?