* XEmbed patches - again.
@ 2008-01-09 20:19 David Soulayrol
From: David Soulayrol @ 2008-01-09 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello.

Timo Savola wrote some patches for Emacs in order to bring the
capability to embed the Emacs GTK frame into another one, using GTK
sockets [1]. RMS asked him to wait for the 22 release, so he did, and
then he started a new thread on this list last summer [2].

Timo used these patches to wrap Emacs with some tools like a file
browser I believe. The PIDA project [3] - whose motto is to reuse all
the fine components for an IDE around - needs these patches too to embed
the Emacs frame.

Since the last thread about these patches seems to have ended in last
july, I would like to know if they could make their way in trunk soon,
or where they are blocked today.

Thanks all for your work.

[1] http://timo.stc.cx/git/?p=emacs-xembed.git;a=summary
[2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-07/msg00981.html
[3] http://pida.co.uk/

--
David Soulayrol

* Re: XEmbed patches - again.
@ 2008-01-10  7:18 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2008-01-10  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Soulayrol; +Cc: emacs-devel

David Soulayrol skrev:
> Hello.
>
> Timo Savola wrote some patches for Emacs in order to bring the
> capability to embed the Emacs GTK frame into another one, using GTK
> sockets [1]. RMS asked him to wait for the 22 release, so he did, and
> then he started a new thread on this list last summer [2].
>
> Timo used these patches to wrap Emacs with some tools like a file
> browser I believe. The PIDA project [3] - whose motto is to reuse all
> the fine components for an IDE around - needs these patches too to embed
> the Emacs frame.
>
> Since the last thread about these patches seems to have ended in last
> july, I would like to know if they could make their way in trunk soon,
> or where they are blocked today.

Waiting for the unicode-2 merger with HEAD.

	Jan D.

* Re: XEmbed patches - again.
@ 2008-01-10 12:20 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2008-01-10 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Soulayrol; +Cc: emacs-devel

I hope these get installed soon.  Have people already studied the
code?

* Re: XEmbed patches - again.
@ 2008-01-10 15:18   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2008-01-10 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: David Soulayrol, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman skrev:
> I hope these get installed soon.  Have people already studied the
> code?

I have looked at it, looks OK.  The only reason I haven't checked it in is
because someone (Handa?) asked people to hold back large changes to the C code
before the merge.

	Jan D.

* Re: XEmbed patches - again.
@ 2008-01-10 15:22     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-01-10 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: David Soulayrol, rms, emacs-devel

Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
> someone (Handa?) asked people to hold back large changes to the C code
> before the merge.

I think that's a very good idea...

-Miles

--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research

* Re: XEmbed patches - again.
@ 2008-01-11 13:58     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2008-01-11 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: dsoulayrol, emacs-devel

    I have looked at it, looks OK.  The only reason I haven't checked it in is
    because someone (Handa?) asked people to hold back large changes to the C code
    before the merge.

Do you mean, before the unicode-2 merge?

If there are lots of conflicting changes, waiting seems wise.
Otherwise you might as well install now.

* Re: XEmbed patches - again.
@ 2008-01-11 17:42       ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2008-01-11 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: dsoulayrol, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman skrev:
>     I have looked at it, looks OK.  The only reason I haven't checked it in is
>     because someone (Handa?) asked people to hold back large changes to the C code
>     before the merge.
>
> Do you mean, before the unicode-2 merge?

Yes.

> If there are lots of conflicting changes, waiting seems wise.
> Otherwise you might as well install now.

It is hard to tell.  Anyway, Miles thought it was wise to hold it, so I'll do
that.

	Jan D.

* Re: XEmbed patches - again.
@ 2008-02-07 14:11 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2008-02-07 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Soulayrol; +Cc: timo.savola, emacs-devel

Now checked in.
There is no documentation.  We should at least have docs on --parent-id and
what it does.

	Jan D.

David Soulayrol skrev:
> Hello.
>
> Timo Savola wrote some patches for Emacs in order to bring the
> capability to embed the Emacs GTK frame into another one, using GTK
> sockets [1]. RMS asked him to wait for the 22 release, so he did, and
> then he started a new thread on this list last summer [2].
>
> Timo used these patches to wrap Emacs with some tools like a file
> browser I believe. The PIDA project [3] - whose motto is to reuse all
> the fine components for an IDE around - needs these patches too to embed
> the Emacs frame.
>
> Since the last thread about these patches seems to have ended in last
> july, I would like to know if they could make their way in trunk soon,
> or where they are blocked today.
>
> Thanks all for your work.
>
> [1] http://timo.stc.cx/git/?p=emacs-xembed.git;a=summary
> [2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-07/msg00981.html
> [3] http://pida.co.uk/

* Re: XEmbed patches - again.
@ 2008-02-08  4:15   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2008-02-08  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: dsoulayrol, emacs-devel, timo.savola

    Now checked in.
    There is no documentation.  We should at least have docs on --parent-id and
    what it does.

Please at least add an item to NEWS so that we don't forget!

* Re: XEmbed patches - again.
@ 2008-02-08  8:57     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2008-02-08  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: dsoulayrol, timo.savola, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman skrev:
>     Now checked in.
>     There is no documentation.  We should at least have docs on --parent-id and
>     what it does.
>
> Please at least add an item to NEWS so that we don't forget!

Done.

	Jan D.