* adding warning to obsolete unicode branch
@ 2008-02-03 18:57 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-02-03 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-unicode; +Cc: emacs-devel

As a large number of people used the emacs-unicode-2 branch
out of CVS, I think it might be a good idea to add a warning
to the configure script and Makefiles in the branch, so that
if they update from that branch and build emacs, they'll get
a big fat message telling them they should probably use the
trunk instead.

E.g.

**                                                                **
**  The Emacs "emacs-unicode-2" branch has been merged into       **
**  the CVS trunk, and is now obsolete.  You should probably      **
**  use the CVS trunk instead.                                    **
**                                                                **
**  To switch a CVS checkout to the trunk, use the command:       **
**                                                                **
**     cvs update -A                                              **
**                                                                **

The configure script is easy, though I'm not exactly sure
which make targets such a thing should be added to...

Any opinions?

Thanks,

-Miles

--
`To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to,
 all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson

* Re: adding warning to obsolete unicode branch
@ 2008-02-03 19:35 ` Dan Nicolaescu
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-02-03 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-unicode, emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

  > As a large number of people used the emacs-unicode-2 branch
  > out of CVS, I think it might be a good idea to add a warning
  > to the configure script and Makefiles in the branch, so that
  > if they update from that branch and build emacs, they'll get
  > a big fat message telling them they should probably use the
  > trunk instead.
  >
  > E.g.

  > **                                                                **
  > **  The Emacs "emacs-unicode-2" branch has been merged into       **
  > **  the CVS trunk, and is now obsolete.  You should probably      **
  > **  use the CVS trunk instead.                                    **
  > **                                                                **
  > **  To switch a CVS checkout to the trunk, use the command:       **
  > **                                                                **
  > **     cvs update -A                                              **
  > **                                                                **
  >
  > The configure script is easy, though I'm not exactly sure
  > which make targets such a thing should be added to...
  >
  > Any opinions?

How about just make configure exit after printing the message above,
that way there's no need worry about the makefiles.

* Re: adding warning to obsolete unicode branch
@ 2008-02-03 20:45 ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2008-02-03 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

   **  To switch a CVS checkout to the trunk, use the command:       **
   **                                                                **
   **     cvs update -A                                              **

Thank you for this.

* Re: adding warning to obsolete unicode branch
@ 2008-02-04  2:40 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2008-02-04  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-unicode, emacs-devel

Why not just change Makefile in unicode-2 so that one cannot compile it?

Is there any useful reason to compile that branch any more?

* Re: adding warning to obsolete unicode branch
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-02-17 16:17 ` David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2008-02-17 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-unicode, emacs-devel

on Sun Feb 03 2008, Miles Bader <miles-AT-gnu.org> wrote:

> As a large number of people used the emacs-unicode-2 branch
> out of CVS, I think it might be a good idea to add a warning
> to the configure script and Makefiles in the branch, so that
> if they update from that branch and build emacs, they'll get
> a big fat message telling them they should probably use the
> trunk instead.

Something like that would sure be nice for people like me, as I recently
built from the branch without knowing better.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: adding warning to obsolete unicode branch
@ 2008-02-17 19:47   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-02-17 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-unicode, emacs-devel

David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:
>> As a large number of people used the emacs-unicode-2 branch
>> out of CVS, I think it might be a good idea to add a warning
>> to the configure script and Makefiles in the branch, so that
>> if they update from that branch and build emacs, they'll get
>> a big fat message telling them they should probably use the
>> trunk instead.
>
> Something like that would sure be nice for people like me, as I recently
> built from the branch without knowing better.

I added a warning shortly after I sent that email; did you not see it,
or was your checkout from before then?

-Miles

--
Logic, n. The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the
limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.