* German spelling broken in recent builds?
@ 2008-03-15 21:30 Claus
From: Claus @ 2008-03-15 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Hi,

some recent change in Emacs stopped aspell/ispell/flyspell from
working with German Umlauts (äöüß...).
Sometime after 2008-03-05 flyspell suddenly fails to recognize any
word containing such letters.

I suspect it to be Emacs-related since I have two versions of
23.0.60.1 running in parallel and flyspell works as expected in the
former:

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6000) of 2008-03-05 on
CJK-MOBILE   --> spelling OK!

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-03-14 on
CJK-MOBILE   --> spelling borked for German/Umlaute

If nobody remembers any change that might have caused this, I'll file
a regular "emacs -Q ..." bug report.

The recent changelog has many coding-related changes, so I'm kinda lost here.
What am I missing?

thanks,
Claus

* Re: German spelling broken in recent builds?
@ 2008-03-15 21:44 ` Tom Rauchenwald
From: Tom Rauchenwald @ 2008-03-15 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Claus; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Claus <claus.klingberg@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> some recent change in Emacs stopped aspell/ispell/flyspell from
> working with German Umlauts (äöüß...).
> Sometime after 2008-03-05 flyspell suddenly fails to recognize any
> word containing such letters.
[...]
> The recent changelog has many coding-related changes, so I'm kinda lost here.
> What am I missing?

I have the same problem, i think i have tracked it down to [[:alpha:]]
not matching umlauts anymore (in older versions it did match them). But
I have no idea what change introduced it.

> thanks,
> Claus

Tom

--
Then I drew in a breath, and my renewed will with it, lifted the rod
in my right hand, murmured a phrase in a language I didn't know, and

* Re: German spelling broken in recent builds?
@ 2008-03-16  9:46   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2008-03-16  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Rauchenwald; +Cc: Claus, Emacs Devel

Tom Rauchenwald <sehnsucht.nach.unendlichkeit@quantentunnel.de> writes:

> I have the same problem, i think i have tracked it down to [[:alpha:]]
> not matching umlauts anymore (in older versions it did match them). But
> I have no idea what change introduced it.

It's a fallout from this:

	* international/mule-cmds.el (reset-language-environment)
	(set-language-environment-nonascii-translation):
	Don't set-unibyte-charset.

Andreas.

* Re: German spelling broken in recent builds?
@ 2008-03-16 10:46   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2008-03-16 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Rauchenwald; +Cc: Claus, Emacs Devel

Tom Rauchenwald <sehnsucht.nach.unendlichkeit@quantentunnel.de> writes:

> I have the same problem, i think i have tracked it down to [[:alpha:]]
> not matching umlauts anymore (in older versions it did match them). But
> I have no idea what change introduced it.

Should be fixed now.

Andreas.

* Re: German spelling broken in recent builds?
@ 2008-03-16 12:14     ` Tom Rauchenwald
From: Tom Rauchenwald @ 2008-03-16 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Claus, Emacs Devel

Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> Tom Rauchenwald <sehnsucht.nach.unendlichkeit@quantentunnel.de> writes:
>
>> I have the same problem, i think i have tracked it down to [[:alpha:]]
>> not matching umlauts anymore (in older versions it did match them). But
>> I have no idea what change introduced it.
>
> Should be fixed now.

It is, thank you!

> Andreas.

Tom