This image shows split windows, with the Gnus Summary buffer on top and the Article buffer below. The mode line of the Summary buffer has my customized mode-line face (Helvetica font as in variable-pitch face, plus over- and underlining). The mode line of the Article buffer has mode-line-inactive face, which inherits from mode-line but overrides the weight attribute, making it light. The Article buffer also has a header line from the tabbar library, which I've customized with font Helvetica, width compressed, height 85 in 1/10 pt and weight medium (and it also shows the over- and underlining from my customized header-line face -- note the underlining is unbroken, in constrast to that of the mode-line face). Steve Berman