On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:46:15 -0400, Chong Yidong wrote: > Emacs pretest 23.0.95 is now available; this is the sixth pretest for > what will be the Emacs 23.1 release. You can download it via FTP, at > the following location: > > http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.95.tar.gz Thank you, and everyone involved in preparing the new pretest release. > Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on > your build platform. Please report bugs via M-x report-emacs-bugs, or > send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org. For other questions, > please email emacs-devel@gnu.org. I have patched the editors/emacs-devel port of FreeBSD to use the new pretest tarball as the source/distfile. It builds successfully on both FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/amd64 without X11 support, with X11 support and Lucid widgets, or with X11 support and GTK+ widgets. I have also edited the installation message of the package to say: This is a pretest snapshot of what will be the Emacs 23.1 release. As a result, there may be packaging errors in the tarball, so please be on the lookout for problems with installation. Pretesters: please send an email to keramida@ceid.upatras.gr reporting success or failure on your systems. In addition, please report bugs via M-x report-emacs-bugs, or send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org. For questions, please email emacs-devel@gnu.org. Emacs 23 contains many changes relative to Emacs 22. For details, see the file etc/NEWS. A few particular notes for those who have not been following Emacs CVS development: - The RMAIL mail package was recently changed to use mbox instead of Babyl for its internal format. This part of Emacs may be less stable than others; for safety, please back up your mail files before trying the new Rmail. - The default toolkit is now GTK+. You can use WITHOUT_GTK to build GNU Emacs with the Lucid toolkit. There have been no problem reports so far, but the port was updated just today. If I get any bug reports in my personal inbox that are not also copied to the list, I will forward them to emacs-pretest-bug too. Again, thanks to everyone who contributed work, time and effort to give us the new release :-) Regards, Giorgos