On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 05:59:48 -0500 Ted Zlatanov wrote: TZ> Since hashtables can get pretty big, it would be nice to have a TZ> separator between entries when they are printed. Could that be provided TZ> at the top level, e.g. TZ> (let ((hash-table-print-separator "\\\n")) TZ> (format "%S" my-hash-table)) TZ> or in some other way? It would make large hashtable dumps like the ones TZ> from the new registry.el and gnus-registry.el much easier to read and TZ> debug. In the old gnus-registry.el I had special code to break up TZ> alists like that but it was slow so I'd rather ask Emacs to do it for TZ> me at the C level. The attached patch introduces `list-print-separator' to be used for list and hashtable entries. It's printed unescaped. It could be a function too, to be called with the print level. For me it's sufficient as a simple object to be printed. Let me know what you think... Thanks Ted