* several (minor) pending patches
@ 2015-01-15  8:05 Ivan Shmakov
From: Ivan Shmakov @ 2015-01-15  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

	Given that I now seem to have commit access to the Emacs Git
	repository, would there be any objections to me committing –
	within the next two days – the patches available for the bug
	reports below?

    http://debbugs.gnu.org/19140  (Unreviewed.)

	* lisp/files.el (dir-locals-collect-variables): Use
	default-directory in place of the file name while working on
	non-file buffers (as hack-dir-local-variables already does.)

    http://debbugs.gnu.org/18371  (Unreviewed.)

	* lisp/desktop.el (desktop-read): Do not call desktop-clear when
	no desktop file is found.

    http://debbugs.gnu.org/19566  (Reviewed by Juri Linkov?)

	* lisp/misearch.el (multi-isearch-unload-function): New function
	to retain definitions of autoloaded variables when unloading.
	(misearch-unload-function): New alias.

    http://debbugs.gnu.org/19274  (Reviewed by Eli, Stefan.)

	* lisp/tar-mode.el
	(tar-new-regular-file-header, tar--pad-to, tar--put-at)
	(tar-header-serialize, tar-new-entry): New functions.
	(tar-mode-map): Bind tar-new-entry to a key.
	(tar-current-position): Split off tar-current-descriptor.
	(tar-current-descriptor): Use tar-current-position.
	doc/emacs/files.texi: Updated.
	etc/NEWS: Updated.

    http://debbugs.gnu.org/18246  (Reviewed by Stefan: “probably OK”.)

	* lisp/textmodes/enriched.el (enriched-encode): Use
	inhibit-point-motion-hooks (in addition to inhibit-read-only.)

    http://debbugs.gnu.org/18175  (Reviewed by Stefan.)

	* lisp/files.el (find-file-other-window, find-file-other-frame):
	Use mapc (was: mapcar.)

--
FSF associate member #7257  np. The Middle Path — David Modica B6A0 230E 334A

* Re: several (minor) pending patches
@ 2015-01-15 14:48 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-01-15 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> 	Given that I now seem to have commit access to the Emacs Git
> 	repository, would there be any objections to me committing –
> 	within the next two days – the patches available for the bug
> 	reports below?

Yes, thank you.

* Re: several (minor) pending patches
@ 2015-01-17 20:15 ` Ivan Shmakov
From: Ivan Shmakov @ 2015-01-17 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

 > Given that I now seem to have commit access to the Emacs Git
 > repository, would there be any objections to me committing – within
 > the next two days – the patches available for the bug reports below?

[…]

	I’ve just pushed the following six changes to ‘master’.  (I do
	not follow emacs-24, so I wasn’t sure if any of these would be
	suitable there.)

0aaa5d6	Unloading support for misearch.
e391d88	Do not clear the session when trying to read a non-existent
	desktop file.
1728544	Fix: inhibit point motion hooks when encoding an enriched document.
e000ff3	Fix dir-locals handling for non-file buffers.
3e824b0	Avoid mapcar in two cases in files.el.
22441b6	Ignore print-length and print-level while formatting url-cookie data.

	(The 22441b6 change is for http://debbugs.gnu.org/16805, which I
	forgot about in my original plan.  It was reviewed by Stefan.)

	I’ve decided not to push the tar-new-entry change along with the
	changes above, as it’s not exactly a “minor” change.  (And it
	spans several directories, which would surely make it easier for
	me to screw the things up.)

 > http://debbugs.gnu.org/19274  (Reviewed by Eli, Stefan.)

 > * lisp/tar-mode.el
 > (tar-new-regular-file-header, tar--pad-to, tar--put-at)
 > (tar-header-serialize, tar-new-entry): New functions.
 > (tar-mode-map): Bind tar-new-entry to a key.
 > (tar-current-position): Split off tar-current-descriptor.
 > (tar-current-descriptor): Use tar-current-position.
 > doc/emacs/files.texi: Updated.
 > etc/NEWS: Updated.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257  np. Tears of the Dragon — Bruce Dickinson

* Re: several (minor) pending patches
@ 2015-01-17 20:22   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-01-17 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Shmakov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ivan Shmakov <ivan@siamics.net>
> Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 20:15:50 +0000
>
> 	I’ve just pushed the following six changes to ‘master’.  (I do
> 	not follow emacs-24, so I wasn’t sure if any of these would be
> 	suitable there.)

Bugs should be fixed on the emacs-24 branch, unless either (a) the bug
doesn't exist on the branch, or (b) the fix is controversial or
complicated enough to be able to destabilize the branch.

Thanks.

* Re: several (minor) pending patches
@ 2015-01-23 15:10     ` Ivan Shmakov
From: Ivan Shmakov @ 2015-01-23 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

 >> I’ve just pushed the following six changes to ‘master’.  (I do not
 >> follow emacs-24, so I wasn’t sure if any of these would be suitable
 >> there.)

 > Bugs should be fixed on the emacs-24 branch, unless either (a) the
 > bug doesn't exist on the branch, or (b) the fix is controversial or
 > complicated enough to be able to destabilize the branch.

	Unfortunately, I don’t think I’d be able to give the changes I
	introduce the amount of testing the branch deserves.  For one
	thing, it was found that e000ff30b435 is affected by a bug in a
	distant part of the code (subsequently fixed in 2e8d209f258c), –
	and there could be other places which would now fail loudly,
	including third-party packages, so I’d rather not have that
	change in the stable branch.

	Still, should anyone be interested in backporting the fixes,
	here are the ones I deem worthy for emacs-24:

2e8d209	Fix the value default-directory gets in custom-make-dependencies.
1728544	Fix: inhibit point motion hooks when encoding an enriched document.
22441b6	Ignore print-length and print-level while formatting url-cookie data.

	The other changes I’ve pushed to master (below) are probably not
	of the “pure bug fix” variety.

0aaa5d6	Unloading support for misearch.
e391d88	Do not clear the session when trying to read a non-existent
	desktop file.
e000ff3	Fix dir-locals handling for non-file buffers.
3e824b0	Avoid mapcar in two cases in files.el.

	TIA.

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A

* Re: several (minor) pending patches
@ 2015-01-23 16:23       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-01-23 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Shmakov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ivan Shmakov <ivan@siamics.net>
> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 15:10:53 +0000
>
>  > Bugs should be fixed on the emacs-24 branch, unless either (a) the
>  > bug doesn't exist on the branch, or (b) the fix is controversial or
>  > complicated enough to be able to destabilize the branch.
>
> 	Unfortunately, I don’t think I’d be able to give the changes I
> 	introduce the amount of testing the branch deserves.  For one
> 	thing, it was found that e000ff30b435 is affected by a bug in a
> 	distant part of the code (subsequently fixed in 2e8d209f258c), –
> 	and there could be other places which would now fail loudly,
> 	including third-party packages, so I’d rather not have that
> 	change in the stable branch.

It's a judgment call.  If your are in doubt whether making the change
on the branch is safe, then don't.

* Re: several (minor) pending patches
@ 2015-01-27 22:09 ` Ivan Shmakov
From: Ivan Shmakov @ 2015-01-27 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

[…]

 > http://debbugs.gnu.org/19274  (Reviewed by Eli, Stefan.)

 > * lisp/tar-mode.el
 > (tar-new-regular-file-header, tar--pad-to, tar--put-at)
 > (tar-header-serialize, tar-new-entry): New functions.
 > (tar-mode-map): Bind tar-new-entry to a key.
 > (tar-current-position): Split off tar-current-descriptor.
 > (tar-current-descriptor): Use tar-current-position.

	This change is now pushed (as a56eab825956), too.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A