@ 2015-09-02 16:38 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-09-02 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello

I asked this on auctex-dev but it might be question concerning core
functionality of GNU emacs:

It is possible to display super and sub indices lowered and rised, but

(Xemacs can display, based on very different implementation indeed sub
package)

Are there any plans to implement such a feature?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

@ 2015-09-02 18:58 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-09-02 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 16:38:22 +0000
>
> I asked this on auctex-dev but it might be question concerning core
> functionality of GNU emacs:
>
> It is possible to display super and sub indices lowered and rised, but
>
> (Xemacs can display, based on very different implementation indeed sub
> package)
>
> Are there any plans to implement such a feature?

You are asking about a core feature on a list dedicated to core Emacs,
but barely describe it in core-feature terms.  I don't use AUCTeX (can
you imagine that?), so I cannot know what kind of feature is
requested.  For all I know, the feature might already exist, but
AUCTeX might not be using it, for some reason.

So please assume that your audience knows nothing about how AUCTeX
displays super- and sub-scripts, and please explain what is available
and what would you like in addition.

Thanks.

@ 2015-09-02 20:20 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-09-02 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I asked this on auctex-dev but it might be question concerning core
> functionality of GNU emacs:

The necessary core functionality has been present for a long time: just
add the proper `invisible' property to the chars you don't want to see.

> Are there any plans to implement such a feature?

Where?  In tex-mode's font-lock rules?  No, I tend to think of it as
a misfeature (prettification vs WYSIWYG-ification).

@ 2015-09-03  7:02   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-09-03  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-devel

>> I asked this on auctex-dev but it might be question concerning core
>> functionality of GNU emacs:
>
> The necessary core functionality has been present for a long time:
> just add the proper `invisible' property to the chars you don't want
> to see.

I guess what Uwe wants is that `prettify-symbols-mode' in a (La)TeX
buffer (with stock latex-mode or AUCTeX; doesn't really matter) could
have the option to make the ^ and _ invisible, too.

I already told him that this is not what p-s-m is meant for.  But it's
easy enough to write a custom font-lock rule for that:

(defun th/invisible-super-sub-scripts ()
  (interactive)
  (cl-pushnew 'invisible font-lock-extra-managed-props)
  (font-lock-add-keywords
   nil
   '(("[^\\\\]\\([_^]\\)" (1 '(face nil invisible t) t))))
  (font-lock-flush))

Uwe, if you want you could do something like that:

(add-hook 'prettify-symbols-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (when (eq major-mode 'latex-mode)
	      (th/invisible-super-sub-scripts))))

Bye,
Tassilo

@ 2015-09-03  9:41     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2015-09-03  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> I asked this on auctex-dev but it might be question concerning core
>>> functionality of GNU emacs:
>>
>> The necessary core functionality has been present for a long time:
>> just add the proper `invisible' property to the chars you don't want
>> to see.

> I guess what Uwe wants is that `prettify-symbols-mode' in a (La)TeX
> buffer (with stock latex-mode or AUCTeX; doesn't really matter) could
> have the option to make the ^ and _ invisible, too.

> I already told him that this is not what p-s-m is meant for.  But it's
> easy enough to write a custom font-lock rule for that:

> (defun th/invisible-super-sub-scripts ()
>   (interactive)
>   (cl-pushnew 'invisible font-lock-extra-managed-props)
>   (font-lock-add-keywords
>    nil
>    '(("[^\\\\]\\([_^]\\)" (1 '(face nil invisible t) t))))
>   (font-lock-flush))

> Uwe, if you want you could do something like that:

> (add-hook 'prettify-symbols-mode-hook
> 	  (lambda ()
> 	    (when (eq major-mode 'latex-mode)
> 	      (th/invisible-super-sub-scripts))))

Cool!! Precisely what I wanted thanks very much!