* Speedbar and dot files
@ 2016-02-14 16:58 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2016-02-14 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

I use a package from MELPA, "sr-sppedbar" which uses the Emacs Speedbar,
but the last does not show the dot files/directories (.emacs.d, .bashrc
etc.).

Even if one adds

(setq speedbar-show-unknown-files t)

in the init file, the above files/directoris are not shown.

On the WEB I found this discussion:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5135209/show-hidden-files-in-speedbar

which suggest to use

(setq speedbar-directory-unshown-regexp
"^\\(CVS\\|RCS\\|SCCS\\|\\.\\.*$\\)\\'")

in the init file, and indeed it seems to work.

Now, I wonder if you can do better adding an option, say
"speedbar-show-all", so that when one use

(setq speedbar-show-all t)

*ALL* but really *ALL* is shown in the Speedbar.

TIA,
  Angelo.

* Re: Speedbar and dot files
@ 2016-02-15  2:59 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2016-02-15  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs developers

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:

> Now, I wonder if you can do better adding an option, say
> "speedbar-show-all", so that when one use
>
> (setq speedbar-show-all t)
>
> *ALL* but really *ALL* is shown in the Speedbar.

As `sr-speedbar` is not part of GNU Emacs, but an
externally-maintained package hosted on EmacsWiki, my suggestion
would be that you add your request to the SrSpeedbar EmacsWiki
page:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SrSpeedbar

Alexis.

* Re: Speedbar and dot files
@ 2016-02-15  9:03   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2016-02-15  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: Emacs developers

Maybe I was not clear..

I use sr-speedbar WHICH *uses* Emacs speedbar. The configuration

(setq speedbar-show-unknown-files t)

regards Emacs *speedbar* NOT sr-speedbar, and is non sufficient to show
dod files (.emacs, .emacs.d, .bashrc...). For sr-speedbar the
configuration starts with "sr-speedbar-..." NOT with "speedbar-..."

OK, forgot sr-speedbar and consider this:

When one enable speedbar and select "Show All Files" in its menu
(mouse-3), files like .emacs, .emacs.d, .bashrc, .profile and so on are
NOT shown...

Hope now is more clear..

  Angelo

Il 15/02/2016 03:59, Alexis ha scritto:

> Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:
>
>> Now, I wonder if you can do better adding an option, say
>> "speedbar-show-all", so that when one use
>>
>> (setq speedbar-show-all t)
>>
>> *ALL* but really *ALL* is shown in the Speedbar.
>
> As `sr-speedbar` is not part of GNU Emacs, but an externally-maintained
> package hosted on EmacsWiki, my suggestion would be that you add your
> request to the SrSpeedbar EmacsWiki page:
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SrSpeedbar
>

> Alexis.

* Re: Speedbar and dot files
@ 2016-02-15  9:51     ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2016-02-15  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs developers

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it> writes:

> When one enable speedbar and select "Show All Files" in its menu
> (mouse-3), files like .emacs, .emacs.d, .bashrc, .profile and so
> on are  NOT shown...
>
> Hope now is more clear..

Yes, that's clear now, thanks.

So, my suggestion is that you lodge a feature request using M-x
report-emacs-bug, describing how you'd like `speedbar` to be
customisable to have the behaviour you're seeking.

Alexis.

* Re: Speedbar and dot files
@ 2016-02-16 12:57     ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2016-02-16 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi, Alexis; +Cc: Emacs developers

On 02/15/2016 04:03 AM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Maybe I was not clear..
>
> I use sr-speedbar WHICH *uses* Emacs speedbar. The configuration
>
> (setq speedbar-show-unknown-files t)
>
> regards Emacs *speedbar* NOT sr-speedbar, and is non sufficient to show
> dod files (.emacs, .emacs.d, .bashrc...). For sr-speedbar the
> configuration starts with "sr-speedbar-..." NOT with "speedbar-..."
>
> OK, forgot sr-speedbar and consider this:
>
> When one enable speedbar and select "Show All Files" in its menu
> (mouse-3), files like .emacs, .emacs.d, .bashrc, .profile and so on are
> NOT shown...

Hi,

"Show All Files" just enables display of files with extensions speedbar
doesn't know how to pull the tags from.

If you want hidden files, such as .emacs, you need to hack
speedbar-file-unshown-regexp.

Eric

* Re: Speedbar and dot files
@ 2016-02-16 23:48       ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2016-02-16 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Ludlam, Alexis; +Cc: Emacs developers

If you read my OP, it is this what I do not want..

I would prefer a more "high level" option..

  Angelo