Stefan Monnier writes: >> Is this "aversion" to byte-compilation of custom themes intentional? > > I think it's due to the idea that users might download theme files from > random places without realizing that it contains arbitrary Lisp code > (contrary to normal Emacs packages where we consider that users should > know that it contains arbitrary Lisp code). So we prompt users to > confirm that they think the theme file is safe, and users can't be > expected to assess the safety of a .elc file, so we insist on using the > .el file, which the user can inspect without nearly as much pain. Ah, that makes sense. Do you think it would be worthwhile clarifying this in the manual? Is there a clearer way of saying the following?