If not, WDYM exactly by "check whether cl-lib is available"? Passing a non-nil NOERROR argument to a top-level (eval-when-compile (require 'cl-lib nil t)) still causes 'make bootstrap' to fail, and writing (when (require/featurep/fboundp ...) (cl-assert ...)) in custom-available-themes doesn't make sense to me, especially given that cl-assert is autoloaded. Am I misunderstanding something? Sorry about my slow uptake on this; I'm not deliberately trying to be obtuse, rather trying to learn what the best approach is here and why. Thanks, -- Basil