* [feature/rcirc-update] Reconnects don't seem to work anymore
@ 2021-06-11  9:38 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2021-06-11  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic, emacs-devel

Hi Philip,

at 11:59 I was disconnected from libera.chat.  In the server buffer I
have

  10:59 *** tsdh QUIT Ping timeout: 264 seconds

and in channels, there is

  0:59 !!! irc.libera.chat: connection broken by remote peer (closed)

Usually, if that happened I'd just `M-x rcirc RET' again, and it would
re-connect to all servers in `rcirc-server-alist' which are not
connected anymore.

Well, it still does that, i.e., I'm connected to irc.libera.chat again
in *irc.libera.chat* but all channel buffers of that network show
"(rcirc:disconnected)" in the mode-line and don't seem to receive any
messages anymore.

That's a thing which used to work before your patches, I think.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: [feature/rcirc-update] Reconnects don't seem to work anymore
@ 2021-06-11 10:57 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-06-11 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Philip,
>
> at 11:59 I was disconnected from libera.chat.  In the server buffer I
> have
>
>   10:59 *** tsdh QUIT Ping timeout: 264 seconds
>
> and in channels, there is
>
>   0:59 !!! irc.libera.chat: connection broken by remote peer (closed)
>
> Usually, if that happened I'd just `M-x rcirc RET' again, and it would
> re-connect to all servers in `rcirc-server-alist' which are not
> connected anymore.

If you were to use /reconnect would that change anything? That is what I
tested, and I hope worked. But your method should continue working.

> Well, it still does that, i.e., I'm connected to irc.libera.chat again
> in *irc.libera.chat* but all channel buffers of that network show
> "(rcirc:disconnected)" in the mode-line and don't seem to receive any
> messages anymore.

I did encounter something similar, the issue was that rcirc-buffer-alist
was nil'ed unintentionally. What is the value of rcirc-buffer-alist in
the server buffer before and after reconnecting?

--
	Philip K.

* Re: [feature/rcirc-update] Reconnects don't seem to work anymore
@ 2021-06-11 10:59   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2021-06-11 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> at 11:59 I was disconnected from libera.chat.  In the server buffer I
>> have
>>
>>   10:59 *** tsdh QUIT Ping timeout: 264 seconds
>>
>> and in channels, there is
>>
>>   0:59 !!! irc.libera.chat: connection broken by remote peer (closed)
>>
>> Usually, if that happened I'd just `M-x rcirc RET' again, and it would
>> re-connect to all servers in `rcirc-server-alist' which are not
>> connected anymore.
>
> If you were to use /reconnect would that change anything? That is what I
> tested, and I hope worked. But your method should continue working.

Not sure.  In the current state it just says "Server buffer is alive"
which is true.

>> Well, it still does that, i.e., I'm connected to irc.libera.chat
>> again in *irc.libera.chat* but all channel buffers of that network
>> show "(rcirc:disconnected)" in the mode-line and don't seem to
>> receive any messages anymore.
>
> I did encounter something similar, the issue was that
> rcirc-buffer-alist was nil'ed unintentionally. What is the value of
> rcirc-buffer-alist in the server buffer before and after reconnecting?

It still knows about the buffers:

(("##rust" . #<buffer ##rust@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#git" . #<buffer #git@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#archlinux" . #<buffer #archlinux@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#fsf-members" . #<buffer #fsf-members@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#fsf" . #<buffer #fsf@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#gnu" . #<buffer #gnu@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#gnus" . #<buffer #gnus@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#rcirc" . #<buffer #rcirc@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#emacs-beginners" . #<buffer #emacs-beginners@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#emacs" . #<buffer #emacs@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#sway" . #<buffer #sway@irc.libera.chat>)
 ("#sr.ht" . #<buffer #sr.ht@irc.libera.chat>))
Local in buffer *irc.libera.chat*; global value is nil

I'm now restarting emacs.  The next time I get a disconnect, I'll try
/reconnect instead.

@ 2021-06-11 14:50     ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-06-11 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> If you were to use /reconnect would that change anything? That is what I
>> tested, and I hope worked. But your method should continue working.
>
> Not sure.  In the current state it just says "Server buffer is alive"
> which is true.

Yes, because the server buffer is reconnected. The issue is that the
existing buffers are not reused.

Another issue I also intend so solve is reconnecting to buffers used for
direct chat. These usually break and then I have to manually /msg the
other person again to continue a conversation.

>> I did encounter something similar, the issue was that
>> rcirc-buffer-alist was nil'ed unintentionally. What is the value of
>> rcirc-buffer-alist in the server buffer before and after reconnecting?
>
> It still knows about the buffers:
>
> (("##rust" . #<buffer ##rust@irc.libera.chat>)
>  ("#git" . #<buffer #git@irc.libera.chat>)
>  ("#archlinux" . #<buffer #archlinux@irc.libera.chat>)
>  ("#fsf-members" . #<buffer #fsf-members@irc.libera.chat>)
>  ("#fsf" . #<buffer #fsf@irc.libera.chat>)
>  ("#gnu" . #<buffer #gnu@irc.libera.chat>)
>  ("#gnus" . #<buffer #gnus@irc.libera.chat>)
>  ("#rcirc" . #<buffer #rcirc@irc.libera.chat>)
>  ("#emacs-beginners" . #<buffer #emacs-beginners@irc.libera.chat>)
>  ("#emacs" . #<buffer #emacs@irc.libera.chat>)
>  ("#sway" . #<buffer #sway@irc.libera.chat>)
>  ("#sr.ht" . #<buffer #sr.ht@irc.libera.chat>))
> Local in buffer *irc.libera.chat*; global value is nil

This is most unusual... I'll try to look into this.

--
	Philip K.