Lars Ingebrigtsen writes: > I've now changed it to use a fringe marker. Thank you, the fringe marker is less intrusive. I am a heavy user of bookmarks that point to *vc-dir* buffers (one bookmark per project) and I am not sure the overlay works well with such bookmarks pointing to buffers going through the uniquify machinery. See the following attachment where two bookmark-fringe-mark are visible in the fringe (I just opened multiple bookmarks to *vc-dir* buffers where one bookmark doesn't point to the first line of the buffer):