* compile-goto-error
@ 2004-11-16  9:29 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2004-11-16  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I'm looking at compile errors, I tend to visit the one I find most
interesting first. The compilation window then places this error at the top of
the window. If I now want to visit an earlier one, I have to page back down. I
am guessing this behaviour was provided so that it was clear which error was
the current one. Now that the overlay arrow points to the current error, at
least on a graphics terminal, would it be possible not to move the window (or
possibly move the error to the centre of the compilation window) so that the
user can still see the other errors around the current one?

Nick

* Re: compile-goto-error
@ 2004-11-16 14:57 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2004-11-16 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:
> When I'm looking at compile errors, I tend to visit the one I find most
> interesting first. The compilation window then places this error at the top of
> the window. If I now want to visit an earlier one, I have to page back down. I
> am guessing this behaviour was provided so that it was clear which error was
> the current one. Now that the overlay arrow points to the current error, at
> least on a graphics terminal, would it be possible not to move the window

(setq compilation-context-lines nil)

> (or possibly move the error to the centre of the compilation window)

(setq compilation-context-lines (/ (window-height) 2))

> so that the user can still see the other errors around the
> current one?

I don't like the current default value too.  But I'm not sure which
one would satisfy most users.  Any integer value other than 0 was
found to be too distracting.  Changing the default to `nil' would
require an additional check to make sure that fringe arrow is visible.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: compile-goto-error
@ 2004-11-16 16:55   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-11-16 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nick Roberts, emacs-devel

> I don't like the current default value too.  But I'm not sure which
> one would satisfy most users.  Any integer value other than 0 was
> found to be too distracting.  Changing the default to `nil' would
> require an additional check to make sure that fringe arrow is visible.

I recently realized that while the 0-context sometimes makes sense for
C-x `, the "don't move" behavior would be preferable when getting
to an error by using RET or mouse-2 on the actual error text.

And I think this is not just my personal preference,