* header-line-format vs. window fringes
@ 2005-08-01 13:37 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2005-08-01 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to use `header-line-format' to create a header line for a
buffer which contains several columns of fixed width. The intent,
obviously, is for the header line to contain titles that should be
aligned right over each corresponding column (assuming the face used
on the buffer and the one for the header line use the same, or
equivalent, monospaced font).

I don't know how to do that when the window has non-null fringes,
because I know the fringes' widths, but I don't see a way to know the
width of the monospaced font, in pixels. As the header doesn't take
into account the fringes, its content is not character-aligned with
the buffer's content.

Am I missing something?

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: header-line-format vs. window fringes
@ 2005-08-01 14:23 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2005-08-01 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/1/05, Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> wrote:

> As the header doesn't take
> into account the fringes, its content is not character-aligned with
> the buffer's content.

Move along, move along. That is not the question you're reading.

[Or, let's suppose I just found about the :align-to stuff for display
attributes.]

--

@ 2005-08-01 20:05 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-08-01 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

> I don't know how to do that when the window has non-null fringes,
> because I know the fringes' widths, but I don't see a way to know the
> width of the monospaced font, in pixels. As the header doesn't take
> into account the fringes, its content is not character-aligned with
> the buffer's content.

IIRC if you use a :align-to display property, the 0 position is at the
beginning of the text, so you should just need to add a leading space with
an (:align-to 0) text property.

Take a look at the code for list-buffers which has to deal with the
same issue.