Stefan Monnier writes: >> When I do C-x C-f /a/b/c, with shell being /bin/sh (zsh emuled), >> I still have a weird behavior: > >> >> read-file-name-internal: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /a*/b*/ >> >> read-file-name-internal: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /a**/b**/ >> >> read-file-name-internal: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /a***/b***/ >> >> read-file-name-internal: Opening directory: no such file or directory, /a****/b****/ > >> AFAIU, this patch fixes the /c* bug (i.e. the last part of the filename >> being completed) but not the whole problem. > > Hmm... I remember working on such a bug report a few months ago. > Can't remember whether I had fixed it at the time and if so how. But in any > case, I can't reproduce the problem right now. My bad, I recompiled a freshly checkouted Emacs and it works almost right. When I do C-x C-f /a/b/c TAB, no star are added, but an _error_ is triggered instead of a [no match]. IMHO, it's due to file_name_completion, and I'd be very tempted to make the following: