* [bportmann@yahoo.com: Re: mouse-yank-at-point in Comint modes]
@ 2007-01-27 19:34 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-01-27 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Has anyone worked on this?

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:32:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Bob Portmann <bportmann@yahoo.com>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: mouse-yank-at-point in Comint modes

This bug is still present in the emacs-22.0.93 pretest.

* Re: [bportmann@yahoo.com: Re: mouse-yank-at-point in Comint modes]
@ 2007-01-29  2:32 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-01-29  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Has anyone worked on this?

I've checked in a fix into CVS.

@ 2007-01-29 14:48   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-01-29 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I've checked in a fix into CVS.

Good, but is this the correct thing to do when
mouse-yank-at-point is nil?:

   +  ;; Fall back to the global definition if (i) the selected
   +  ;; buffer is not a comint buffer (which can happen if a
   +  ;; non-comint window was selected and we clicked in a comint
   +  ;; window) [...]

Shouldn't the binding be looked up where you click in this case?

Btw, the manual's description of what effect mouse-yank-at-point
is supposed to have is confused:

(info "(emacs)Secondary Selection")

   If `mouse-yank-at-point' is non-`nil', `M-Mouse-2' yanks at point.
   Then it does not matter precisely where you click; ALL THAT MATTERS
   IS WHICH WINDOW YOU CLICK ON.

(info "(emacs)Mouse Commands")

   if `mouse-yank-at-point' is non-`nil', `Mouse-2' yanks at point.
   Then it does not matter where you click, OR EVEN WHICH OF THE
   FRAME'S WINDOWS YOU CLICK ON. The default value is `nil'. This
   variable also affects yanking the secondary selection.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: [bportmann@yahoo.com: Re: mouse-yank-at-point in Comint modes]
@ 2007-01-29 15:44     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-01-29 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:

> is this the correct thing to do when
> mouse-yank-at-point is nil?:
>
>    +  ;; Fall back to the global definition if (i) the selected
>    +  ;; buffer is not a comint buffer (which can happen if a
>    +  ;; non-comint window was selected and we clicked in a comint
>    +  ;; window) [...]
>
> Shouldn't the binding be looked up where you click in this case?

That is tricky to implement, because looking up the key binding of a
mouse event automagically uses the keymaps of the clicked window,
which may not be the selected window (see the definition of
Fkey_binding), so we are back where we started.

Also, there are situations where the alternative you suggest is
undesirable; if the selected buffer is in some other mode where
mouse-2 is not bound to mouse-yank-at-click and you click on a comint
buffer in another window, the value of mouse-yank-at-point is
irrelevant, so we should use the global binding!

The current solution seems to be good enough for all realistic
situations.

> Btw, the manual's description of what effect mouse-yank-at-point
> is supposed to have is confused:
>
> (info "(emacs)Secondary Selection")
>
>    If `mouse-yank-at-point' is non-`nil', `M-Mouse-2' yanks at point.
>    Then it does not matter precisely where you click; ALL THAT MATTERS
>    IS WHICH WINDOW YOU CLICK ON.

This is indeed incorrect; I'll fix it.