* OT: Quick Lego Survey
@ 2014-08-16 14:13 Samuel W Flint
From: Samuel W Flint @ 2014-08-16 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I understand this is kind of off topic, however, I was wondering how
many of the Emacs Developers played with Legos a lot as a kid.

Thanks,

Sam

--
Samuel W. Flint

* Re: OT: Quick Lego Survey
@ 2014-08-19 14:34 Tim Chambers
From: Tim Chambers @ 2014-08-19 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: esr, john, lennart.borgman, ruediger, swflint,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org, tsdh

> From: John Yates <john@yates-sheets.org>
> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 21:24:28 -0400

> Too old to have played with Lego as a child.  My equivalents were Lincoln
> Logs, Tinker Toys and especially Erector Set.

I had Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Erector Sets, *and* LEGOs growing up in
the 70's. Also had LEGO gears.

> By the time I became a father Lego had appeared[.] Both my daughter and my
> son received many Lego sets.

My neighbors had more than me, so I vowed when I had kids that there would
be no such thing as "too many LEGOs."

> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com>
> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 04:40:12 -0400

> Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>:
>> ... here in Germany that's probably the most  common toy after teddy
>> bears, so I wouldn't look for some correlation between playing LEGO and
>> becoming a hacker or engineer.
>
> Interesting.  Legos aren't quite that common in th the U.S., and
> *are* commonly thought to be something you give your kid if you want
> to encourage engineering tendencies.

And hacking. My first exposure to programming at MIT was a student
mini-course on Lisp. Many LEGO metaphors were proferred.

I have two sons. They had oodles of LEGOs. Both went to MIT. I'm convinced
LEGOs helped. #1 son studied Aero-Astro, focused on UAS auto-pilot
software and is a Java hacker in Cambridge now. #2 is in his senior year
studying MechE.