* New update of the Emacs homepage online
@ 2016-02-16 13:38 Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-02-16 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Guys,

I pushed a new update of my work on the Emacs homepage, available at
http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/

There are various small refinements, but the most important additions
are the GNU Logo and navigation menu, as well as the FSF banner which
contains the requirend contents to part of the gnu.org website.

We discussed with Richard this issue and I will move the FSF supporter
form up in the page, but feedback is anyway welcome!

Cheers,
Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online
@ 2016-02-17  3:06 ` Alexis
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Alexis @ 2016-02-17  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:

> I pushed a new update of my work on the Emacs homepage,
> available at http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/

This is looking really good to me, both on my laptop and on my
smartphone.

Thank you for your work!

Alexis.

* Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online
@ 2016-02-17  3:13 ` Alex Dunn
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Alex Dunn @ 2016-02-17  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton, emacs-devel

Minor thing: on Mac OS Firefox (“Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X
10.11; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0“), the FSF Supporter buttons
look too chunky—thick borders and round corners—especially compared to
the download buttons at the top.

[-- Attachment #2: Buttons in the FSF panel --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 29940 bytes --]

Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I pushed a new update of my work on the Emacs homepage, available at
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/
>
> There are various small refinements, but the most important additions
> are the GNU Logo and navigation menu, as well as the FSF banner which
> contains the requirend contents to part of the gnu.org website.
>
> We discussed with Richard this issue and I will move the FSF supporter
> form up in the page, but feedback is anyway welcome!
>
> Cheers,
> Nico
> --
> Nicolas Petton
> http://nicolas-petton.fr

* Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online
@ 2016-02-17  4:11 ` John Wiegley
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-02-17  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I pushed a new update of my work on the Emacs homepage, available at
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/

Looks awesome!

* Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online
@ 2016-02-17  9:09   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-02-17  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Dunn, emacs-devel

Alex Dunn <dunn.alex@gmail.com> writes:

> Minor thing: on Mac OS Firefox (“Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X
> 10.11; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0“), the FSF Supporter buttons
> look too chunky—thick borders and round corners—especially compared to
> the download buttons at the top.

Thanks for your feedback :) I will definitely improve them!

Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-17 22:25 ` Scott Randby
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Scott Randby @ 2016-02-17 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 02/16/2016 08:38 AM, Nicolas Petton wrote:
> I pushed a new update of my work on the Emacs homepage, available at
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/

I'm concerned that the videos are mp4 videos. This format is not an open
format, and it seems to me that to have videos using a patent encumbered
proprietary format on the website promoting GNU Emacs is contrary to the
goals and philosophy of free software. In my view, the only two
acceptable video formats for use on a web page are Theora (ogg) and
WebM. While WebM is the less desirable option of the two because of
questions surrounding its openess and licensing, it was developed for
the web, it does work in many browsers, and it probably works on Android
since it is Google's baby. Fewer devices and browsers support Theora
which is a real shame.

Scott Randby

* Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online
@ 2016-02-17 23:07   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-02-17 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby, emacs-devel

Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm concerned that the videos are mp4 videos.

I will convert them, I just forgot to do that.

Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-17 23:16 ` Vinicius Latorre
From: Vinicius Latorre @ 2016-02-17 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

Very good job, looks awesome!!

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I pushed a new update of my work on the Emacs homepage, available at
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/
>
> There are various small refinements, but the most important additions
> are the GNU Logo and navigation menu, as well as the FSF banner which
> contains the requirend contents to part of the gnu.org website.
>
> We discussed with Richard this issue and I will move the FSF supporter
> form up in the page, but feedback is anyway welcome!
>
> Cheers,
> Nico
> --
> Nicolas Petton
> http://nicolas-petton.fr

* Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-18  6:25 ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2016-02-18  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Nicolas,

great job, this looks really neat!

Aesthetically (so you can safely ignore this): it feels like the page
mixes two distinct color schemes, one yellow-purple, another red-gray.
IIRC, the second one comes from early versions of your page, the first
one is more recent.  I'm not sure the two mixes 100% fine for my eyes,
especially purple-red.  Maybe the bottom should simply be "purplish"?

Anyway, just a minor quirk, the overall impression is that "Emacs is
the future".  :)

 Bastien

* Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online
@ 2016-02-18 12:00   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-02-18 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bastien Guerry <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> great job, this looks really neat!

Thanks Bastien!

> Aesthetically (so you can safely ignore this): it feels like the page
> mixes two distinct color schemes, one yellow-purple, another red-gray.
> IIRC, the second one comes from early versions of your page, the first
> one is more recent.  I'm not sure the two mixes 100% fine for my eyes,
> especially purple-red.  Maybe the bottom should simply be "purplish"?

I understand what you mean.  This section will evolve anyway, but I will
try to change the color.

> Anyway, just a minor quirk, the overall impression is that "Emacs is
> the future".  :)

I'm glad you see it this way, that's really what I've been trying to
achieve :)

Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-02-19  7:40 ` Matthew Carter
From: Matthew Carter @ 2016-02-19  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: emacs-devel

Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I pushed a new update of my work on the Emacs homepage, available at
> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/
>
> There are various small refinements, but the most important additions
> are the GNU Logo and navigation menu, as well as the FSF banner which
> contains the requirend contents to part of the gnu.org website.
>
> We discussed with Richard this issue and I will move the FSF supporter
> form up in the page, but feedback is anyway welcome!
>
> Cheers,
> Nico

Completely awesome!  Nice job!

Not sure if it's related, but I noticed that the Emacs Wiki site also got
a redesign recently - both of these updates are really making Emacs
stand out.

--
Matthew Carter (m@ahungry.com)
http://ahungry.com

* Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online
@ 2016-02-19 10:09   ` Brad Howes
From: Brad Howes @ 2016-02-19 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Carter; +Cc: Nicolas Petton, emacs-devel

On Feb 19, 2016, at 08:40, Matthew Carter <m@ahungry.com> wrote:

> Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:
>
>> I pushed a new update of my work on the Emacs homepage, available at
>> http://nicolas-petton.fr/ressources/emacs-website/
>
> Completely awesome!  Nice job!

+1 !

* Re: New update of the Emacs homepage online
@ 2016-02-19 18:32   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-02-19 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Carter; +Cc: Nicolas Petton, emacs-devel

> Not sure if it's related, but I noticed that the Emacs Wiki site also got a
> redesign recently - both of these updates are really making Emacs stand out.

Indeed, I am quite happy with this movement toward the modern era. Ancient web
sites make me feel like I'm visiting a home that hasn't been redecorated since
the 70s.