* cpio-mode version 0.08
@ 2018-06-04 18:36 Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2018-06-04 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

All,

cpio-mode version 0.07 has been uploaded to github (
https://github.com/dlewan/cpio-mode). This version includes fontification
taken from dired.

hpodc == odc except for special files (devices), so I'm skipping it for the
moment.

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

* Re: cpio-mode version 0.08
@ 2018-06-05  2:26 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2018-06-05  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Lewan; +Cc: emacs-devel

Douglas> cpio-mode version 0.07 has been uploaded to github
Douglas> (https://github.com/dlewan/cpio-mode). This version includes
Douglas> fontification taken from dired.

It would be cool to have a cpio (and other archive type) file name
handler, so that dired could just be reused rather than reimplemented.
I realize this is possible with Tramp+GVFS now, but a pure elisp
implementation would be even better.

Tom

* Re: cpio-mode version 0.08
@ 2018-06-05  7:07   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2018-06-05  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Tromey; +Cc: Douglas Lewan, emacs-devel

Tom Tromey <tom@tromey.com> writes:

Hi Tom,

> It would be cool to have a cpio (and other archive type) file name
> handler, so that dired could just be reused rather than reimplemented.
> I realize this is possible with Tramp+GVFS now, but a pure elisp
> implementation would be even better.

... and harder. Tramp uses GVFS only as transition layer, because it
offers an API for libarchive(3). Switching to a direct access of the
libarchive C API would have advantages:

* Not bound to GVFS anymore, available on other platforms therefore.
* Not bound to the restrictions GVFS has taken to libarchive, like no
  support for writing into archives, missing proper file attributes, etc.

I have been lazy so far, because Tramp knows already the GVFS API, and
it was easy to add this support. But if there are heavy demands for
change, I could consider to switch to libarchive.

A pure Lisp implementation is wasted work, I believe. Look at the list
of file formats libarchive supports. (info "(tramp) Archive file names")

> Tom

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: cpio-mode version 0.08
@ 2018-06-05  9:20     ` Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2018-06-05  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Tom Tromey, emacs-devel

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 7:07 AM, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Tom Tromey <tom@tromey.com> writes:
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> > It would be cool to have a cpio (and other archive type) file name
> > handler, so that dired could just be reused rather than reimplemented.
> > I realize this is possible with Tramp+GVFS now, but a pure elisp
> > implementation would be even better.
>
> ... and harder. Tramp uses GVFS only as transition layer, because it
> offers an API for libarchive(3). Switching to a direct access of the
> libarchive C API would have advantages:
>
> * Not bound to GVFS anymore, available on other platforms therefore.
> * Not bound to the restrictions GVFS has taken to libarchive, like no
>   support for writing into archives, missing proper file attributes, etc.
>
> I have been lazy so far, because Tramp knows already the GVFS API, and
> it was easy to add this support. But if there are heavy demands for
> change, I could consider to switch to libarchive.
>
> A pure Lisp implementation is wasted work, I believe. Look at the list
> of file formats libarchive supports. (info "(tramp) Archive file names")
>
> > Tom
>
> Best regards, Michael.

Indeed. I'd be more than happy to surrender to work to someone
who can provide a simpler implementation. I don't happen to know GVFS or
libarchive
or the question of how to bind lisp to a C library.

In the meantime, cpio-mode looks usable now for the archives it supports.
What remains is testing and polish. I would very much appreciate testing
from anyone who can help with it.

Thanks.

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

* Fwd: cpio-mode version 0.08
@ 2018-06-05  9:21       ` Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2018-06-05  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

@ 2018-06-05  9:44       ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2018-06-05  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Lewan; +Cc: Tom Tromey, emacs-devel

Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Doug,

> Indeed. I'd be more than happy to surrender to work to someone who can
> provide a simpler implementation. I don't happen to know GVFS or
> libarchive or the question of how to bind lisp to a C library.

Thanks for the offer. At first step, you might just try the
tramp-archive solution, and provide feedback about usability (nobody did
so far). Just open a file like "/path/to/file.cpio/", and play with
it. The point is the trailing slash. You could open even compressed
archives, like ".../file.cpio.gz/".

For knowing libarchive and binding Lisp to a C library ... all of this I
didn't know either when starting to contribute to Emacs. I've learned it
by doing, which seems the only way to do it :-)

> In the meantime, cpio-mode looks usable now for the archives it
> supports.  What remains is testing and polish. I would very much
> appreciate testing from anyone who can help with it.

I have written test/lisp/net/tramp-archive-tests.el for such
purposes. Maybe you can steal some ideas or code from there ...

And of course, you could ask me whatever you want about.

> Thanks.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: cpio-mode version 0.08
@ 2018-06-05 10:38         ` Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2018-06-05 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Tom Tromey, emacs-devel

Michael,

Thanks for the pointers. I'll have a look when I get a few minutes.

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

* Re: cpio-mode version 0.08
@ 2018-06-05 15:55           ` Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2018-06-05 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Tom Tromey, emacs-devel

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Thanks for the pointers. I'll have a look when I get a few minutes.
>
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 9:44 AM, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> > Indeed. I'd be more than happy to surrender to work to someone who can
>> > provide a simpler implementation. I don't happen to know GVFS or
>> > libarchive or the question of how to bind lisp to a C library.
>>
>> Thanks for the offer. At first step, you might just try the
>> tramp-archive solution, and provide feedback about usability (nobody did
>> so far). Just open a file like "/path/to/file.cpio/", and play with
>> it. The point is the trailing slash. You could open even compressed
>> archives, like ".../file.cpio.gz/".
>>
>> For knowing libarchive and binding Lisp to a C library ... all of this I
>> didn't know either when starting to contribute to Emacs. I've learned it
>> by doing, which seems the only way to do it :-)
>>
>> > In the meantime, cpio-mode looks usable now for the archives it
>> > supports.  What remains is testing and polish. I would very much
>> > appreciate testing from anyone who can help with it.
>>
>> I have written test/lisp/net/tramp-archive-tests.el for such
>> purposes. Maybe you can steal some ideas or code from there ...
>>
>> And of course, you could ask me whatever you want about.
>>
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> Best regards, Michael.

Michael,

So far, I've downloaded source for emacs 26.1 and built it
(in a somewhat hobbled development environment -- no X development,
no image support, without gnutls).
I've loaded tramp and url-tramp and opened test files (with names ending in
'.cpio).
All I get is "File not found and directory is write-protected".

I assume I'm missing something. Can you help?

Also, a quick look suggests that libarchive may not be universally
available.
I'm a big fan of portability, if it's possible, so, if that's the case,
then I might prefer to avoid it. Any thoughts?

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

* Re: cpio-mode version 0.08
@ 2018-06-05 16:10             ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2018-06-05 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Lewan; +Cc: Tom Tromey, emacs-devel

Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:

> Michael,

Hi Doug,

> So far, I've downloaded source for emacs 26.1 and built it
> (in a somewhat hobbled development environment -- no X development,
> no image support, without gnutls).
> I've loaded tramp and url-tramp and opened test files (with names
> ending in '.cpio).
> All I get is "File not found and directory is write-protected".
>
> I assume I'm missing something. Can you help?

tramp-archive.el is new in Emacs 27 and Tramp 2.4. So you might use
latest sources from either Emacs or Tramp repository.

> Also, a quick look suggests that libarchive may not be universally
> available.  I'm a big fan of portability, if it's possible, so, if
> that's the case, then I might prefer to avoid it. Any thoughts?

Yes, that's a problem. Maybe we could do something like Emacs does for
dired. Where applicable, it uses the external "ls" command, otherwise it
uses the ls-lisp library.

This means, we should use an Elisp implementation (like your cpio code)
on systems which have no libarchive(3) support, for the cost of
supporting less archive formats. The upper interface would still be a
file name handler like tramp-archive provides as of today; all other
packages using this wouldn't care the underlying implementation.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: cpio-mode version 0.08
@ 2018-06-05 18:57               ` Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2018-06-05 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Tom Tromey, emacs-devel

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 4:10 PM, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Michael,
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> > So far, I've downloaded source for emacs 26.1 and built it
> > (in a somewhat hobbled development environment -- no X development,
> > no image support, without gnutls).
> > I've loaded tramp and url-tramp and opened test files (with names
> > ending in '.cpio).
> > All I get is "File not found and directory is write-protected".
> >
> > I assume I'm missing something. Can you help?
>
> tramp-archive.el is new in Emacs 27 and Tramp 2.4. So you might use
> latest sources from either Emacs or Tramp repository.

Forgive me, but I don't know where the latest sources are.
People write of them, but don't give explicit references.

> > Also, a quick look suggests that libarchive may not be universally
> > available.  I'm a big fan of portability, if it's possible, so, if
> > that's the case, then I might prefer to avoid it. Any thoughts?
>
> Yes, that's a problem. Maybe we could do something like Emacs does for
> dired. Where applicable, it uses the external "ls" command, otherwise it
> uses the ls-lisp library.
>
> This means, we should use an Elisp implementation (like your cpio code)
> on systems which have no libarchive(3) support, for the cost of
> supporting less archive formats. The upper interface would still be a
> file name handler like tramp-archive provides as of today; all other
> packages using this wouldn't care the underlying implementation.

Seems reasonable. This would probably be a late addition for my cpio-mode,
but I'm more than willing to do it.
Does your tramp code allow for editing of archive entries and their
attributes?
That would be a necessary piece of guaranteeing a consistent user
experience.

--
,Doug
Douglas Lewan

* Re: cpio-mode version 0.08
@ 2018-06-05 19:14                 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-06-05 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Lewan; +Cc: Tom Tromey, Michael Albinus, emacs-devel

Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 4:10 PM, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Michael,
>>
>> Hi Doug,
>>
>> > So far, I've downloaded source for emacs 26.1 and built it
>> > (in a somewhat hobbled development environment -- no X development,
>> > no image support, without gnutls).
>> > I've loaded tramp and url-tramp and opened test files (with names
>> > ending in '.cpio).
>> > All I get is "File not found and directory is write-protected".
>> >
>> > I assume I'm missing something. Can you help?
>>
>> tramp-archive.el is new in Emacs 27 and Tramp 2.4. So you might use
>> latest sources from either Emacs or Tramp repository.
>>

> Forgive me, but I don't know where the latest sources are.
> People write of them, but don't give explicit references.

git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git

will get you the latest emacs sources, which comes with tramp version
2.4.0-pre

Robert

* Re: cpio-mode version 0.08
@ 2018-06-05 19:30                 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2018-06-05 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Lewan; +Cc: Tom Tromey, emacs-devel

Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Doug,

>     tramp-archive.el is new in Emacs 27 and Tramp 2.4. So you might
>     use latest sources from either Emacs or Tramp repository.
>
> Forgive me, but I don't know where the latest sources are.
> People write of them, but don't give explicit references.

Both Emacs and Tramp reside in git repositories. Cloning Emacs from
git is described for example at <https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsFromGit>.

Cloning Tramp from git is described in the Tramp manual, see for example
<https://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Obtaining-TRAMP>.

> Does your tramp code allow for editing of archive entries and their
> attributes?  That would be a necessary piece of guaranteeing a
> consistent user experience.

Tramp would allow it. But the GVFS library does not support it (yet),
see bug <https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=589617>. This would
be one motivation for me to switch from GVFS to plain libarchive.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: cpio-mode version 0.08
@ 2018-06-05 19:45                   ` Douglas Lewan
From: Douglas Lewan @ 2018-06-05 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)