* which ubuntu package has tput
@ 2022-06-17 17:01 hput
From: hput @ 2022-06-17 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The question of where to get the tput functionality comes up when
compiling emacs.

I've stumbled over it many times and the place to get it has changed
over time.

Compiling emacs today I tried my best to find out what pkg holds
tputs.

I never did get a clear idea and finally ended up installing
everything that even rhymed with curses and ended in *-dev.

Google was precious little help to me... No doubt I used singularly
wrong strings in the searches.  But I would bet a wooden nickle that
someone here knows `exactly' what pkg debian/ubuntu has that carries
the tputs stuff needed by emacs.

I would really like to see an honest to god package name that has it.
I'll write it down and until it changes (again).. I'll be good to go.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: which ubuntu package has tput
@ 2022-06-17 17:59 ` Jim Porter
From: Jim Porter @ 2022-06-17 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hput, emacs-devel

On 6/17/2022 10:01 AM, hput wrote:
> Compiling emacs today I tried my best to find out what pkg holds
> tputs.

tput should be in ncurses-bin:
<https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=tput&mode=exactfilename&suite=jammy&arch=any>.

Once you know where to look (a non-trivial matter!), it's pretty easy to
figure this out. Just go to <https://packages.ubuntu.com/> and enter
your search under "Search the contents of packages".

- Jim

* Re: which ubuntu package has tput
@ 2022-06-17 20:00   ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-06-17 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 10:59:08AM -0700, Jim Porter wrote:
> On 6/17/2022 10:01 AM, hput wrote:
> > Compiling emacs today I tried my best to find out what pkg holds
> > tputs.
>
> tput should be in ncurses-bin: <https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=tput&mode=exactfilename&suite=jammy&arch=any>.
>
> Once you know where to look (a non-trivial matter!), it's pretty easy to
> figure this out. Just go to <https://packages.ubuntu.com/> and enter your
> search under "Search the contents of packages".

Or install package apt-cache and do an "apt-cache search tput".

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: which ubuntu package has tput
@ 2022-06-17 23:47     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2022-06-17 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 10:59:08AM -0700, Jim Porter wrote:
>> On 6/17/2022 10:01 AM, hput wrote:
>> > Compiling emacs today I tried my best to find out what pkg holds
>> > tputs.
>>
>> tput should be in ncurses-bin:
>> <https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=tput&mode=exactfilename&suite=jammy&arch=any>.
>>
>> Once you know where to look (a non-trivial matter!), it's pretty easy to
>> figure this out. Just go to <https://packages.ubuntu.com/> and enter your
>> search under "Search the contents of packages".
>
> Or install package apt-cache and do an "apt-cache search tput".

A 'trick' I find useful on many GNU Linux distributions is to use
whatever the package management system is to list the build dependencies
for their version of emacs. For example, on Debian based systems, you
can do something like

apt build-dep emacs27

which will list and install all the build dependencies associated with
the emacs 27 included in that distro. when installing a newer version of
Emacs, there may be some new dependencies not included, but the above
will at least give you most of them. If you only want to build the text
version (no X), then use the no X package version. From memory, doing
this against Ubuntu's emacs27 gave me all the dependencies needed to
build either Emacs 28 or 29.

Fedora's dnf command has builddep, which does a similar task. I'm sure
other package managers have similar.

* Re: which ubuntu package has tput
@ 2022-06-18  6:19 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-06-18  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hput; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: hput <hput3@fastmail.fm>
> Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 17:01:26 +0000
>
> The question of where to get the tput functionality comes up when
> compiling emacs.

Can you tell why you needed this information?

> Compiling emacs today I tried my best to find out what pkg holds
> tputs.

This page has some advice:

  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5563354/how-to-know-which-library-a-specific-function-is-defined-in

* Re: which ubuntu package has tput
@ 2022-06-18 15:19 ` hput
From: hput @ 2022-06-18 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

hput <hput3@fastmail.fm> writes:

> The question of where to get the tput functionality comes up when
> compiling emacs.

[...]

Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:

> On 6/17/2022 10:01 AM, hput wrote:
>> Compiling emacs today I tried my best to find out what pkg holds
>> tputs.
>
> tput should be in ncurses-bin:
> <https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=tput&mode=exactfilename&suite=jammy&arch=any>.

Excelent, thx.

[...]

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

[...]

>> tput should be in ncurses-bin:
>> <https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=tput&mode=exactfilename&suite=jammy&arch=any>.

[...]

> Or install package apt-cache and do an "apt-cache search tput".
More good stuff . . thx

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> A 'trick' I find useful on many GNU Linux distributions is to use
> whatever the package management system is to list the build dependencies
> for their version of emacs. For example, on Debian based systems, you
> can do something like
>
> apt build-dep emacs27

Good answer! ... thx.

[...]

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

Eli wrote:
> Can you tell why you needed this information?

Well yes, sure.   I build emacs from source usally a few times per
year... By the time I get around to recompiling, I've usually
forgotten all the bits needed to do it.  I end up stumbling thru
hitting problems and having to go looking for answers.

And in general spended 5-6 times as much effort and time as it should
take.

But this time, I decided to keep all info gathered in one spot, well
named so I can find it in a moment, and have it on hand when I
compile emacs.

If I live to compile emacs again (and at my age that is up for grabs)
I hope to spend not a moment more than is needed.

Something new happend compiling emacs 2 days ago.  I got thru
./configure after a few downloads of missing stuff.  ./configure ran
thru without a hitch.

I then ran  "make bootstrap" to rebuild everything.  And there it was
uncovered that I had no "makeinfo".  When usually if that is missing,
I would have been made aware during ./configure and would install texinfo.

I actually posted on this group about it.  Thinking it might be
considered a bug and asking if I should submit a bug report.

> This page has some advice:
>
>   https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5563354/how-to-know-which-library-a-specific-function-is-defined-in

Wow, I hope not to have to go to those depths.  but the answers in
this thread will be a heck of a leg up, come compile time.

Thx Eli, always good input.