* encoding of lisp/language/devan-util.el
@ 2003-03-14 15:33 Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2003-03-14 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I cannot make bootstrap, because devan-util.el gives me a parse error
(parenthesis missing).  When I open the file, and move down to defvar
dev-char-glyph, I can see the problem:  the cdr of the second element
in the alist is corrupt (using \e for escape): "\e$,4 K")\e(B" -- the
quote after the K closes the string, etc.

Obviously the file is not being decoded correctly.  Calling M-x
describe-coding-system returns:

Coding system for saving this buffer:
  J -- iso-2022-7bit-unix
Default coding system (for new files):
  1 -- iso-latin-1 (alias: iso-8859-1 latin-1)

This looks ok.  What is the problem, then?

At first I thought this is due to my locale:  LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1
But even when I export LANG=C and use emacs -q the problem persists.

Alex.

* Re: encoding of lisp/language/devan-util.el
@ 2003-03-14 17:35 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2003-03-14 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Alex Schroeder <alex@gnu.org> writes:

|> I cannot make bootstrap, because devan-util.el gives me a parse error
|> (parenthesis missing).  When I open the file, and move down to defvar
|> dev-char-glyph, I can see the problem:  the cdr of the second element
|> in the alist is corrupt (using \e for escape): "\e$,4 K")\e(B" -- the
|> quote after the K closes the string, etc.
|>
|> Obviously the file is not being decoded correctly.  Calling M-x
|> describe-coding-system returns:
|>
|> Coding system for saving this buffer:
|>   J -- iso-2022-7bit-unix
|> Default coding system (for new files):
|>   1 -- iso-latin-1 (alias: iso-8859-1 latin-1)
|>
|> This looks ok.  What is the problem, then?

I can't reproduce that with an emacs updated this morning, it can
correctly decode the file.  Are you sure it's not some kind of corruption
on your side?

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg

* Re: encoding of lisp/language/devan-util.el
@ 2003-03-14 20:36   ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2003-03-14 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> I can't reproduce that with an emacs updated this morning, it can
> correctly decode the file.  Are you sure it's not some kind of corruption
> on your side?

/home/alex/src/emacs/lisp/language $ rm devan-util.el
/home/alex/src/emacs/lisp/language $ cvs update devan-util.el
U devan-util.el

When I edit the file, same problem.

I am currently using the pretest.  Could you try again with Emacs
21.2?  Perhaps this is a decoding issue that has been solved in the
CVS version?

@ 2003-03-14 21:06     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2003-03-14 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Alex Schroeder <alex@gnu.org> writes:

|> Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:
|>
|> > I can't reproduce that with an emacs updated this morning, it can
|> > correctly decode the file.  Are you sure it's not some kind of corruption
|> > on your side?
|>
|> /home/alex/src/emacs/lisp/language $ rm devan-util.el
|> /home/alex/src/emacs/lisp/language $ cvs update devan-util.el
|> U devan-util.el
|>
|> When I edit the file, same problem.
|>
|> I am currently using the pretest.  Could you try again with Emacs
|> 21.2?  Perhaps this is a decoding issue that has been solved in the
|> CVS version?

Looks like, I can reproduce it with the RC branch.

@ 2003-03-14 21:31   ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2003-03-14 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> I can't reproduce that with an emacs updated this morning, it can
> correctly decode the file.  Are you sure it's not some kind of corruption
> on your side?

Well, in order to continue I really had to remove the following three files:

lisp/language/devan-util.el
lisp/language/mlm-util.el
lisp/language/tml-util.el

Unfortunately, some time later I got this error, which I will
investigate now...

Symbol's function definition is void: defmacro*

@ 2003-03-15  0:29     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2003-03-15  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <873clp65yl.fsf@gnu.org>, Alex Schroeder <alex@gnu.org> writes:
> Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:
>>  I can't reproduce that with an emacs updated this morning, it can
>>  correctly decode the file.  Are you sure it's not some kind of corruption
>>  on your side?

> /home/alex/src/emacs/lisp/language $ rm devan-util.el
> /home/alex/src/emacs/lisp/language $ cvs update devan-util.el
> U devan-util.el

> When I edit the file, same problem.

> I am currently using the pretest.  Could you try again with Emacs
> 21.2?  Perhaps this is a decoding issue that has been solved in the
> CVS version?

In HEAD, we introduced a new charset and devan-util.el of
HEAD contains those characters.  Thus, of course, RC can't
read that file correctly.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: encoding of lisp/language/devan-util.el
@ 2003-03-15 10:13       ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2003-03-15 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:

> In HEAD, we introduced a new charset and devan-util.el of
> HEAD contains those characters.  Thus, of course, RC can't
> read that file correctly.

Ok, that explains why I cannot read the file with my RC Emacs.
Thanks.  I will investigate further why it seems that I cannot build
Emacs from CVS.

@ 2003-03-16 17:58         ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2003-03-16 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Schroeder <alex@gnu.org> writes:

> Ok, that explains why I cannot read the file with my RC Emacs.
> Thanks.  I will investigate further why it seems that I cannot build
> Emacs from CVS.

I did not find the answer.  Removing my CVS tree and doing a fresh
checkout resolved all problems.  Oh well.

Alex.