* Misc problems with INSTALL file
@ 2008-08-18 21:11 Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2008-08-18 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I noticed the following stuff in INSTALL which should be fixed:

> To take proper advantage of Emacs 21's mule-unicode charsets, you need
> a suitable font.  For `Unicode' (ISO 10646) fonts for X, see

Emacs 21 should be just Emacs.

Do we still speak of "mule-unicode" ?

> (This is for a Unix or Unix-like system.  For MS-DOS and Windows 3.X,
> see below; search for MSDOG.  For Windows 9X, Windows ME, Windows NT,

There is no MS-DOS or W3x support in Emacs 23 - right?

> Installation on MSDOG (a.k.a. MSDOS)
>
> [...]

Ditto - so this whole section should be removed - right ?

I know that Eli does not want to kill MSDOG support, but IIUC
in the current state [feature freeze - release just around the corner],
Emacs 23 does not run on MSDOG.

That needs to be announced in NEWS too.

* Re: Misc problems with INSTALL file
@ 2008-08-19  1:22 ` Kenichi Handa
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-08-19  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <877iaejafg.fsf@kfs-lx.rd.rdm>, storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> I noticed the following stuff in INSTALL which should be fixed:

> > To take proper advantage of Emacs 21's mule-unicode charsets, you need
> > a suitable font.  For `Unicode' (ISO 10646) fonts for X, see

> Emacs 21 should be just Emacs.

> Do we still speak of "mule-unicode" ?

I think no.  How about the change something like this?

*** INSTALL.~1.135.~	2008-08-01 10:56:23.000000000 +0900
--- INSTALL	2008-08-19 10:21:19.000000000 +0900
***************
*** 177,184 ****
  The Emacs distribution does not include fonts and does not install
  them.  You must do that yourself.

! To take proper advantage of Emacs 21's mule-unicode charsets, you need
! a suitable font.  For `Unicode' (ISO 10646) fonts for X, see
  <URL:http://czyborra.com/unifont/> (packaged in Debian),
  <URL:http://openlab.ring.gr.jp/efont/> (packaged in Debian).  (In
  recent Debian versions, there is an extensive `misc-fixed' iso10646-1
--- 177,186 ----
  The Emacs distribution does not include fonts and does not install
  them.  You must do that yourself.

! Emacs running on the GNU system supports both X fonts and local fonts
! (i.e. the fonts managed by the fontconfig library).
!
! For `Unicode' (ISO 10646) X fonts, see
  <URL:http://czyborra.com/unifont/> (packaged in Debian),
  <URL:http://openlab.ring.gr.jp/efont/> (packaged in Debian).  (In
  recent Debian versions, there is an extensive `misc-fixed' iso10646-1

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: Misc problems with INSTALL file
@ 2008-08-19  1:53   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-08-19  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel, Kim F. Storm

Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:

> I think no.  How about the change something like this?

Looks good.

* Re: Misc problems with INSTALL file
@ 2008-08-19  1:54 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-08-19  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: emacs-devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

>> Installation on MSDOG (a.k.a. MSDOS)
>>
>> [...]
>
> Ditto - so this whole section should be removed - right ?
>
> I know that Eli does not want to kill MSDOG support, but IIUC
> in the current state [feature freeze - release just around the corner],
> Emacs 23 does not run on MSDOG.
>
> That needs to be announced in NEWS too.

I can't recall --- was it working in Emacs 22?

* Re: Misc problems with INSTALL file
@ 2008-08-19  2:26     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-08-19  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: storm, emacs-devel

In article <87y72tixdb.fsf@cyd.mit.edu>, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> writes:

> Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:
> > I think no.  How about the change something like this?

> Looks good.

Ok, I've just comitted that change.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: Misc problems with INSTALL file
@ 2008-08-19  3:15   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-08-19  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel, storm

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:54:16 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
> >> Installation on MSDOG (a.k.a. MSDOS)
> >>
> >> [...]
> >
> > Ditto - so this whole section should be removed - right ?
> >
> > I know that Eli does not want to kill MSDOG support, but IIUC
> > in the current state [feature freeze - release just around the corner],
> > Emacs 23 does not run on MSDOG.
> >
> > That needs to be announced in NEWS too.
>
> I can't recall --- was it working in Emacs 22?

I just told you a few days ago that the 22.2.90 pretest does build and
work on MS-DOS.

* Re: Misc problems with INSTALL file
@ 2008-08-19  3:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-08-19  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:11:15 +0200
>
> There is no MS-DOS or W3x support in Emacs 23 - right?

It's still there.  No one removed the DOS support code yet.

> I know that Eli does not want to kill MSDOG support, but IIUC
> in the current state [feature freeze - release just around the corner],
> Emacs 23 does not run on MSDOG.

Feature freeze means that no new features should be added, but AFAIK
it does not mean existing code cannot be debugged and fixed.

* Re: Misc problems with INSTALL file
@ 2008-08-19  4:39   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-08-19  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, Kim F. Storm

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm)
>> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:11:15 +0200
>>
>> There is no MS-DOS or W3x support in Emacs 23 - right?
>
> It's still there.  No one removed the DOS support code yet.
>
>> I know that Eli does not want to kill MSDOG support, but IIUC
>> in the current state [feature freeze - release just around the corner],
>> Emacs 23 does not run on MSDOG.
>
> Feature freeze means that no new features should be added, but AFAIK
> it does not mean existing code cannot be debugged and fixed.

Indeed.  I added a note to FOR-RELEASE, reminding to update INSTALL and
NEWS if MS-DOS still isn't ready by the time we want to make the
release.

* Re: Misc problems with INSTALL file
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-08-23 18:19 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-08-23 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:11:15 +0200
>
> > (This is for a Unix or Unix-like system.  For MS-DOS and Windows 3.X,
> > see below; search for MSDOG.  For Windows 9X, Windows ME, Windows NT,
>
> There is no MS-DOS or W3x support in Emacs 23 - right?

There is now.