* emacsclient unsuspend error (using -daemon)
@ 2008-11-02 21:41 Marc-André Lureau
From: Marc-André Lureau @ 2008-11-02 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi!

I started using "emacs -daemon", which, I must say first is *great*. I
couldn't grasp the old emacs server configuration, and the modified
bindings to close the client, ...

I start each client with "emacsclient -t". Now I wish I could suspend
it temporarily, with C-z.

When using C-z (suspend-frame), it goes back to the shell.

Unfortunately, "fg" fails:

[1]+  Stopped                 emacsclient -t
elmarco@pipo ~$ fg
emacsclient -t .emacs
*ERROR*: Invalid terminal device

Thanks for your help,

--
Marc-André Lureau

* Re: emacsclient unsuspend error (using -daemon)
@ 2008-11-03 14:34 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-11-03 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc-André Lureau; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Marc-André Lureau" <marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> writes:

  > Hi!
  >
  > I started using "emacs -daemon", which, I must say first is *great*. I
  > couldn't grasp the old emacs server configuration, and the modified
  > bindings to close the client, ...
  >
  > I start each client with "emacsclient -t". Now I wish I could suspend
  > it temporarily, with C-z.
  >
  > When using C-z (suspend-frame), it goes back to the shell.
  >
  > Unfortunately, "fg" fails:
  >
  > [1]+  Stopped                 emacsclient -t
  > elmarco@pipo ~$ fg
  > emacsclient -t .emacs
  > *ERROR*: Invalid terminal device
  >
  > Thanks for your help,

You did not say how old your version of emacs was, and what OS version
and machine you tried this on.  The best would be to try with CVS HEAD.

Also please post a description step by step of what you do to get this
behavior, starting with:
emacs -Q --daemon

Thanks

* Re: emacsclient unsuspend error (using -daemon)
@ 2008-11-03 22:10   ` Marc-André Lureau
From: Marc-André Lureau @ 2008-11-03 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
> "Marc-André Lureau" <marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> writes:
> >
>  > [1]+  Stopped                 emacsclient -t
>  > elmarco@pipo ~$ fg
>  > emacsclient -t .emacs
>  > *ERROR*: Invalid terminal device
>
> You did not say how old your version of emacs was, and what OS version
> and machine you tried this on.  The best would be to try with CVS HEAD.

Oups, sorry:
GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1, compiled yesterday (from git clone)

> Also please post a description step by step of what you do to get this
> behavior, starting with:
> emacs -Q --daemon

elmarco@pipo ~/git/emacs (master)$ emacs-snapshot -Q -daemon
("emacs-snapshot" "-Q")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
elmarco@pipo ~/git/emacs (master)$ emacsclient -t

[1]+  Stopped                 emacsclient -t
elmarco@pipo ~/git/emacs (master)$ fg
emacsclient -t
*ERROR*: Invalid terminal device

regards,

--

@ 2008-11-03 22:31     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-11-03 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc-André Lureau; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Marc-André Lureau" <marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> writes:

  > Hi
  >
  > On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
  > > "Marc-André Lureau" <marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> writes:
  > > >
  > >  > [1]+  Stopped                 emacsclient -t
  > >  > elmarco@pipo ~$ fg
  > >  > emacsclient -t .emacs
  > >  > *ERROR*: Invalid terminal device
  > >
  > > You did not say how old your version of emacs was, and what OS version
  > > and machine you tried this on.  The best would be to try with CVS HEAD.
  > >

  > Oups, sorry:
  > GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1, compiled yesterday (from git clone)

OS?

  > > Also please post a description step by step of what you do to get this
  > > behavior, starting with:
  > > emacs -Q --daemon
  >
  > elmarco@pipo ~/git/emacs (master)$ emacs-snapshot -Q -daemon

Are you sure that this "emacs-snapshot" that you are running here is the
same as the one you compiled yesterday?
By default emacs does not create anything called emacs-snapshot...

  > ("emacs-snapshot" "-Q")
  > For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
  > elmarco@pipo ~/git/emacs (master)$ emacsclient -t

Please run emacsclient from lib-src/emacsclient to make sure the correct
version is used.

  > [1]+  Stopped                 emacsclient -t
  > elmarco@pipo ~/git/emacs (master)$ fg
  > emacsclient -t
  > *ERROR*: Invalid terminal device

What terminal emulator are you using?  Can you try to attach with gdb to
emacsclient and see where the error is coming from?

I can't reproduce this here, and more I suspend/resume emacsclient many
times a day...

* Re: emacsclient unsuspend error (using -daemon)
@ 2008-11-04  0:32       ` Marc-André Lureau
From: Marc-André Lureau @ 2008-11-04  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
> "Marc-André Lureau" <marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> writes:
> OS?

Sorry, forgot that:

Linux pipo 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Thu Oct 9 15:18:09 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Debian unstable/experimental.

> Are you sure that this "emacs-snapshot" that you are running here is the
> same as the one you compiled yesterday?
> By default emacs does not create anything called emacs-snapshot...

Yes, it's the debian emacs-snapshot package, that I used to compile
with the up to date repository verson.

> Please run emacsclient from lib-src/emacsclient to make sure the correct
> version is used.

elmarco@pipo ~/git/emacs (master)$ src/emacs -Q -daemon
("src/emacs" "-Q")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
elmarco@pipo ~/git/emacs (master)$ lib-src/emacsclient -t
elmarco@pipo ~/git/emacs (master)$ fg
lib-src/emacsclient -t
*ERROR*: Invalid terminal device

> What terminal emulator are you using?  Can you try to attach with gdb to
> emacsclient and see where the error is coming from?

I tried with xterm (235), gnome-terminal 2.22.3, and urxvt 9.05. I use
X.org 1.5.2 (7.4~4)

Gdb session:

some SIGSTPT and SIGSTOP

Breakpoint 1, send_to_emacs (s=3, data=0x804ad20 "-suspend \n")

some SIGSTPT and SIGSTOP

Breakpoint 3, 0x46a95c36 in fprintf ()
(gdb) print string
$1 = "-error Invalid terminal device\0

Note: this happen during "suspend", not the resume.

could you help me to digg into emacs, where should I set the bp?

thanks
--

@ 2008-11-04  1:06         ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-11-04  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc-André Lureau; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Marc-André Lureau" <marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> writes:

  > Hi
  >
  > On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
  > > "Marc-André Lureau" <marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> writes:
  > > OS?
  >
  > Sorry, forgot that:
  >
  > Linux pipo 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Thu Oct 9 15:18:09 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
  >
  > Debian unstable/experimental.
  >
  > > Are you sure that this "emacs-snapshot" that you are running here is the
  > > same as the one you compiled yesterday?
  > > By default emacs does not create anything called emacs-snapshot...
  >
  > Yes, it's the debian emacs-snapshot package, that I used to compile
  > with the up to date repository verson.

I hope that compiles everything correctly...

  > > Please run emacsclient from lib-src/emacsclient to make sure the correct
  > > version is used.
  >
  > elmarco@pipo ~/git/emacs (master)$ src/emacs -Q -daemon
  > ("src/emacs" "-Q")
  > For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
  > elmarco@pipo ~/git/emacs (master)$ lib-src/emacsclient -t
  > elmarco@pipo ~/git/emacs (master)$ fg
  > lib-src/emacsclient -t
  > *ERROR*: Invalid terminal device
  >
  > > What terminal emulator are you using?  Can you try to attach with gdb to
  > > emacsclient and see where the error is coming from?
  >
  > I tried with xterm (235), gnome-terminal 2.22.3, and urxvt 9.05. I use
  > X.org 1.5.2 (7.4~4)
  >
  > Gdb session:
  >
  > some SIGSTPT and SIGSTOP
  >
  > Breakpoint 1, send_to_emacs (s=3, data=0x804ad20 "-suspend \n")
  >
  > some SIGSTPT and SIGSTOP
  >
  > Breakpoint 3, 0x46a95c36 in fprintf ()
  > (gdb) print string
  > $1 = "-error Invalid terminal device\0
  >
  > Note: this happen during "suspend", not the resume.

Interesting.

  > could you help me to digg into emacs, where should I set the bp?

You could try both Fsuspend_tty and Fresume_tty and see if you get out
of those function without error.

* Re: emacsclient unsuspend error (using -daemon)
@ 2008-11-04 18:42 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-11-04 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc-André Lureau; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Marc-André Lureau" <marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> writes:

> I started using "emacs -daemon", which, I must say first is *great*. I
> couldn't grasp the old emacs server configuration, and the modified
> bindings to close the client, ...
>
> I start each client with "emacsclient -t". Now I wish I could suspend
> it temporarily, with C-z.
>
> When using C-z (suspend-frame), it goes back to the shell.
>
> Unfortunately, "fg" fails:
>
> [1]+  Stopped                 emacsclient -t
> elmarco@pipo ~$ fg
> emacsclient -t .emacs
> *ERROR*: Invalid terminal device

I just checked in a fix.  (This was not specific to daemon mode.)

* Re: emacsclient unsuspend error (using -daemon)
@ 2009-02-10 12:37   ` Marc-André Lureau
From: Marc-André Lureau @ 2009-02-10 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:42 PM, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> "Marc-André Lureau" <marcandre.lureau@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> [1]+  Stopped                 emacsclient -t
>> elmarco@pipo ~$ fg
>> emacsclient -t .emacs
>> *ERROR*: Invalid terminal device
>
> I just checked in a fix.  (This was not specific to daemon mode.)

Sorry for the delay! I just want to confirm it is fixed :)
Thanks a lot !!

--
Marc-André Lureau