* Emacs 23.1 released
@ 2009-07-30  3:01 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-07-30  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

GNU Emacs 23.1 has been released.  It is available on the GNU ftp site
at ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/.  See http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for a
list of mirrors.

The MD5 check-sums for the tarballs are:

  a620d4452769d04ad8864d662f34f8dd  emacs-23.1.tar.gz
  17f7f0ba68a0432d58fa69d05a2225be  emacs-23.1.tar.bz2

Here are some new features of Emacs 23.  See etc/NEWS for a complete
list.

 - Improved Unicode support (the internal character representation is
   now based on UTF-8).

 - Font rendering with Fontconfig and Xft.

 - Support for using X displays and text terminals in one session,
   and for running as a daemon.

 - Shift-selection.

 - Smarter minibuffer completion.

 - Per-buffer text scaling.

 - Directory-local variables.

 - New packages for:
    * viewing PDF and postscript files (Doc view mode)
    * connecting to processes via D-Bus (dbus)
    * using the GNU Privacy Guard (EasyPG)
    * displaying line numbers in the fringe (Linum mode)
    * editing XML documents with on-the-fly validation (nXML mode)
    * editing Ruby programs (Ruby mode)
    * display-based word wrapping (Visual Line mode)

Please send bug reports to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.  You can use the
function M-x report-emacs-bug to do this.  Mac OS X users should note
that the Carbon port has been removed; see the file nextstep/README for
information about the new Cocoa port.

Many thanks to the rest of the Emacs development team for their hard
work; and to the numerous users who contributed suggestions and bug
reports.  Happy hacking.

* Re: Emacs 23.1 released
@ 2009-07-30  3:37 ` Bastien
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-30  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong, Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Many thanks to the rest of the Emacs development team for their hard
> work; and to the numerous users who contributed suggestions and bug
> reports.  Happy hacking.

Many thanks to the maintainers and the emacs-devel people!

--
 Bastien

* Emacs 23.1 released
@ 2009-07-30  4:13 Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2009-07-30  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cyd; +Cc: Giorgos Keramidas, emacs-devel

Wow this is real big news! Thanks for Yidong and many emacs-devel guys!
Whitin several weeks, i would like to touch that via FreeBSD ports. Good
job, Giorgos!

Sincerely,

--
"He's a businessman. I'll make him an offer he can't refuse."
		-- Vito Corleone, "Chapter 1", page 39

* Re: Emacs 23.1 released
@ 2009-07-30  4:56 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-07-30  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Byung-Hee HWANG; +Cc: Giorgos Keramidas, emacs-devel

Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:

> Wow this is real big news! Thanks for Yidong and many emacs-devel
> guys!

The biggest share of thanks is probably due to Kenichi Handa, who did a
disproportionate amount of the "heavy lifting" in this release.

* Re: Emacs 23.1 released
@ 2009-07-30  6:48   ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2009-07-30  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

*On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 00:56:39 -0400
* Also sprach Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>:

> Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:
>
>> Wow this is real big news! Thanks for Yidong and many emacs-devel
>> guys!
>
> The biggest share of thanks is probably due to Kenichi Handa, who did a
> disproportionate amount of the "heavy lifting" in this release.

Thank you all developers thou I wont use any official release. Esp. I
express my appreciation to Adrian Robert for NS port, otherwise I can
use (bleeding edge) Emacs on my Mac; and to Kenichi Handa for making
Emacs comfortable to use for CJK users.

* Re: Emacs 23.1 released
@ 2009-07-30  8:31 ` joakim
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: joakim @ 2009-07-30  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> GNU Emacs 23.1 has been released.  It is available on the GNU ftp site
> at ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/.  See http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for a
> list of mirrors.
>
> The MD5 check-sums for the tarballs are:
>
>   a620d4452769d04ad8864d662f34f8dd  emacs-23.1.tar.gz
>   17f7f0ba68a0432d58fa69d05a2225be  emacs-23.1.tar.bz2
>
> Here are some new features of Emacs 23.  See etc/NEWS for a complete
> list.

Congratulations!

So lets start working on Emacs 24. No rest for the wicked :)

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Emacs 23.1 released
@ 2009-07-30  9:02 ` Paul R
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Paul R @ 2009-07-30  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> GNU Emacs 23.1 has been released.

Thank you guys, this new release brings significants improvements. It
has really been a pleasure to follow the debates on this list, and
I appreciated a lot the way Chong and Stefan drove the community effort
toward this release. Great work !

--
  Paul

* Re: Emacs 23.1 released
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-07-30  9:10 ` Leo
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Leo @ 2009-07-30  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2009-07-30 04:01 +0100, Chong Yidong wrote:
> GNU Emacs 23.1 has been released.  It is available on the GNU ftp site
> at ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/.  See http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for a
> list of mirrors.

I also want to add my thank-you to Yidong, Stefan, Kenichi and many
others who contribute to the release. Thank you!!!

--
Leo's Emacs uptime: 49 days, 19 hours, 29 minutes, 50 seconds

* Re: Emacs 23.1 released
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-07-30  9:25 ` Deniz Dogan
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2009-07-30  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

2009/7/30 Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>:
> GNU Emacs 23.1 has been released.  It is available on the GNU ftp site
> at ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/.  See http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for a
> list of mirrors.
>
> The MD5 check-sums for the tarballs are:
>
>  a620d4452769d04ad8864d662f34f8dd  emacs-23.1.tar.gz
>  17f7f0ba68a0432d58fa69d05a2225be  emacs-23.1.tar.bz2
>
> Here are some new features of Emacs 23.  See etc/NEWS for a complete
> list.
>
>  - Improved Unicode support (the internal character representation is
>   now based on UTF-8).
>
>  - Font rendering with Fontconfig and Xft.
>
>  - Support for using X displays and text terminals in one session,
>   and for running as a daemon.
>
>  - Shift-selection.
>
>  - Smarter minibuffer completion.
>
>  - Per-buffer text scaling.
>
>  - Directory-local variables.
>
>  - New packages for:
>    * viewing PDF and postscript files (Doc view mode)
>    * connecting to processes via D-Bus (dbus)
>    * using the GNU Privacy Guard (EasyPG)
>    * displaying line numbers in the fringe (Linum mode)
>    * editing XML documents with on-the-fly validation (nXML mode)
>    * editing Ruby programs (Ruby mode)
>    * display-based word wrapping (Visual Line mode)
>
> Please send bug reports to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org.  You can use the
> function M-x report-emacs-bug to do this.  Mac OS X users should note
> that the Carbon port has been removed; see the file nextstep/README for
> information about the new Cocoa port.
>
> Many thanks to the rest of the Emacs development team for their hard
> work; and to the numerous users who contributed suggestions and bug
> reports.  Happy hacking.

Does this mean that Emacs now has the highest known version number?

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Emacs 23.1 released
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-07-30 15:28 ` Christian Faulhammer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christian Faulhammer @ 2009-07-30 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>:

> GNU Emacs 23.1 has been released.  It is available on the GNU ftp site
> at ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/.  See http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for
> a list of mirrors.

 This is available in the testing branch of Gentoo.  Thanks a lot.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: Emacs 23.1 released
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-08-01 16:07 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-08-01 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Chong Yidong', emacs-devel

> GNU Emacs 23.1 has been released.  It is available on the GNU ftp site
> at ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/.  See http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for a
> list of mirrors.

Is there a Windows binary available somewhere for download using HTTP (not FTP)?

(Perhaps I missed a mail about that.)

* Re: Emacs 23.1 released
@ 2009-08-01 16:24   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-08-01 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 09:07:41 -0700
>
> > GNU Emacs 23.1 has been released.  It is available on the GNU ftp site
> > at ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/.  See http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for a
> > list of mirrors.
>
> Is there a Windows binary available somewhere for download using HTTP (not FTP)?

The GNU FTP server is accessible via HTTP as well.  Try this:

  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

* RE: Emacs 23.1 released
@ 2009-08-01 16:34     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-08-01 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eli Zaretskii'; +Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

> > Is there a Windows binary available somewhere for download
> > using HTTP (not FTP)?
>
> The GNU FTP server is accessible via HTTP as well.  Try this:
>   http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

Thanks.

* Re: Emacs 23.1 released
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-08-07 19:11 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-08-07 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:

> GNU Emacs 23.1 has been released.

A bit late, but I just wanted to say, congratulations on making this
release happen. Thanks for doing so much of the work, including lots
of the unglamorous stuff that no-one else was willing to do.

* Re: Emacs 23.1 released
@ 2009-08-07 19:15   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-07 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Glenn Morris<rgm@gnu.org> wrote:
> Chong Yidong wrote:
>
>> GNU Emacs 23.1 has been released.
>
> A bit late, but I just wanted to say, congratulations on making this
> release happen. Thanks for doing so much of the work, including lots
> of the unglamorous stuff that no-one else was willing to do.

Oh, I have also forgotten to say thanks. I agree with Glenn here.

* Re: Emacs 23.1 released
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-08-09  2:21 ` frog
From: frog @ 2009-08-09  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

That's great,I am really a big fans of emacs.First of all ,thanks you
all the works to emacs23.
Since I am UNIX programmer,  I hope the future release will include the cedet.
So we no need to down the package separately ,and  more guys will  join the
development of cedet. Cedet have walled a long time but  still have
many bugs in.
If you want working on the cedet,I really want to be one of the team.Thanks.