* [compilation-mode] Watch for sudo prompt
@ 2012-11-03 22:43 Lluís
       [not found] ` <CAHZoxq_BtNBMNcsLG2aDRH_kg9OuY_hLcY3H4S1xYFdLNVOWAA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Lluís @ 2012-11-03 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Is there a reliable way to make compilation-mode ask the user for a password
when it sees the typical sudo prompt?

Otherwise it gets stuck waiting for the password and there is no way to write it
except running the command in a shell (although I've found it sometimes works if
I first run the command in `shell', but I'm not sure when nor who triggers this
behaviour).

Thanks,
  Lluis

 Tollbooth

* Re: [compilation-mode] Watch for sudo prompt
       [not found] ` <CAHZoxq_BtNBMNcsLG2aDRH_kg9OuY_hLcY3H4S1xYFdLNVOWAA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-11-03 23:31   ` Lluís
From: Lluís @ 2012-11-03 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Hanchrow; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eric Hanchrow writes:

> I haven't tried this, but:
> * shell-mode knows how to read passwords without echoing them; and
> * your compilations can happen in shell-mode (well, comint-mode,
> anyway) if you do C-u M-x compile RET

> ... So maybe that'd work.

Works like a charm, thanks!

For the record, I had `compile' called from my own dwim compilation function, so
this is what I had to use:

    (call-interactively 'compile nil (vector (list 4)))

Lluis

> On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Lluís <xscript@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Is there a reliable way to make compilation-mode ask the user for a password
>> when it sees the typical sudo prompt?
>>
>> Otherwise it gets stuck waiting for the password and there is no way to write it
>> except running the command in a shell (although I've found it sometimes works if
>> I first run the command in `shell', but I'm not sure when nor who triggers this
>> behaviour).

 Tollbooth