* notify api
@ 2013-07-10 12:09 John Yates
From: John Yates @ 2013-07-10 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Recent browsing brought me to Facebook's Apache v2 licensed watchman
project:

https://github.com/facebook/watchman

With recent emacs activity in much the same space I wonder whether the
developers were aware of this work.

/john

* Re: notify api
@ 2013-07-10 18:08 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-07-10 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Yates; +Cc: Emacs developers

John Yates <john@yates-sheets.org> writes:

Hi John,

> Recent browsing brought me to Facebook's Apache v2 licensed watchman
> project:
>
> https://github.com/facebook/watchman
>
> With recent emacs activity in much the same space I wonder whether the
> developers were aware of this work.

Nope, I didn't know that. Interesting.

With the basic functions we have added to Emacs, it could be possible to
implement a similar framework. Before doing this, we shall know intended
use cases.

Beside autorevert.el, I haven't seen use cases yet.

> /john

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: notify api
@ 2013-07-11 13:37   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-07-11 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Emacs developers, John Yates

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 20:08:02 +0200 Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

MA> Beside autorevert.el, I haven't seen use cases yet.

Could Gnus set up notifications against a directory (Maildir or nnml)?
Then it wouldn't have to scan the directory to find out what files have
been added or deleted.

Another possible use case is that `dired' and `vc-dir' could autoupdate
so you don't have to hit `g' to refresh.

A buffer for a VC-controlled file, e.g. with Git, could listen for
notifications on the directory and notice when the current branch or
other information change and at least update the modeline.

I hope these are interesting :)

Ted

* Re: notify api
@ 2013-07-11 13:46     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-07-11 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers; +Cc: John Yates

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> MA> Beside autorevert.el, I haven't seen use cases yet.
>
> Could Gnus set up notifications against a directory (Maildir or nnml)?

For sure.

> Then it wouldn't have to scan the directory to find out what files have
> been added or deleted.
>
> Another possible use case is that `dired' and `vc-dir' could autoupdate
> so you don't have to hit `g' to refresh.
>
> A buffer for a VC-controlled file, e.g. with Git, could listen for
> notifications on the directory and notice when the current branch or
> other information change and at least update the modeline.
>
> I hope these are interesting :)

Yep. But somebody has to take the ball, and implement it. I've done it
for autorevert, likely I won't track the other cases.

> Ted

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: notify api
@ 2013-07-11 14:25       ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2013-07-11 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: John Yates, Emacs developers

Michael Albinus writes:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> A buffer for a VC-controlled file, e.g. with Git, could listen for
>> notifications on the directory and notice when the current branch or
>> other information change and at least update the modeline.
>>
>> I hope these are interesting :)
>
> Yep. But somebody has to take the ball, and implement it. I've done it
> for autorevert, likely I won't track the other cases.

Magit has something like this for git:

https://raw.github.com/magit/magit/master/contrib/magit-inotify.el

-David