* How do I avoid purple-on-black and yellow-on-white?
@ 2014-02-02 21:36 Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2014-02-02 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I needed to use emacs in a terminal window that was in reverse mode -- background black.
I was completely unable to read any of the prompts without highlighting the text
because the prompts are all purple.  Somehow, those two combinations need to be
prevented.  Completely.  Entirely.  Never allowed to happen at all.  It should not
be up to a hapless user to figure out how to configure coloration.  It's too hard.
Thanks you! :)

* How do I avoid purple-on-black and yellow-on-white?
@ 2014-02-03  1:52 Barry OReilly
From: Barry OReilly @ 2014-02-03  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.korb, emacs-devel

Configuring Emacs to display white on black indeed seems
unpolished. When I started using Emacs, it took some experimentation
and web searching to arrive at:

  * Customize frame-background-mode 'dark
  * Customize inverse-video t (didn't observe this have any effect,
    but it looked relevant)
  * For graphical Emacs: run with -r flag
  * For Emacs in terminal (also configured white on black): run with
    -nw (no -r)

I didn't find a way to drop the -r flag in favor of pure Elisp config,
and still get good display.

I use graphical most of the time so don't generally notice terminal
display issues. Under this setup, the terminal colors are very
different from the graphical, but a brief look didn't uncover any poor
contrast.

In your case, the frame-background-mode variable makes the difference
between minibuffer-prompt face being medium blue or cyan, the latter
having better contrast on black. To confirm the value of that face, do
M-x customize-face RET minibuffer-prompt RET.

* Re: How do I avoid purple-on-black and yellow-on-white?
@ 2014-02-04  2:53 Barry OReilly
From: Barry OReilly @ 2014-02-04  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.korb, emacs-devel