Greetings emacs-devel, Was looking to get my feet wet for a long-term goal of trying to clean up existing code, primarily within the C portions of Emacs. That being said, something that looked small and easy enough to do was removing some unnecessary functions that only set a struct's member field. While a compiler can optimize the extra function call away by inlining it, I think it makes it clearer to the human reader just to set the struct member directly. I've run the non-expensive test suite, and all tests not skipped passed successfully. If there are other ways I should exercise this patch, please mention them. Patch is below. Suggestions and comments welcome.