* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 6fa99f0: * lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp.el (insert-pair-alist): Turn defvar into defcustom.
       [not found] ` <20190506193234.F0037209C7@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2019-05-06 19:41   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-05-06 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Simple curiosity:

I naively assumed that electric-pair-mode makes insert-pair
largely obsolete.  So I wonder what are the use cases where insert-pair
is still a better solution than electric-pair-mode.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 6fa99f0: * lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp.el (insert-pair-alist): Turn defvar into defcustom.
@ 2019-05-06 20:02     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2019-05-06 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Simple curiosity:
>
> I naively assumed that electric-pair-mode makes insert-pair
> largely obsolete.  So I wonder what are the use cases where insert-pair
> is still a better solution than electric-pair-mode.

I tried electric-pair-mode and see that it changes the default behavior
of self-inserting keys like ‘(’, ‘[’ to always accompany them
with the closing mark.

Maybe some users like this, but I need self-inserting keys to retain
their normal behavior, and to use a special modifier like ‘M-(’, ‘M-[’
to insert their pairs.