* tramp-aware eshell-exec-visual
@ 2019-07-21 22:29 Florian Margaine
From: Florian Margaine @ 2019-07-21 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I made some small changes to make eshell-exec-visual tramp-aware, at
least for the ssh method.

I was wondering if you would be interested in having this upstream. I
can send a proper patch if needed, but I first wanted to know if it was
worth doing so.

The function is here:
https://gist.github.com/ralt/56cac3dbfb9cdb6e36648b5edee2c5ee

Regards,
Florian

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: tramp-aware eshell-exec-visual
@ 2019-07-22  6:56 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2019-07-22  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Margaine; +Cc: emacs-devel

Florian Margaine <florian@platform.sh> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Florian,

> I made some small changes to make eshell-exec-visual tramp-aware, at
> least for the ssh method.
>
> I was wondering if you would be interested in having this upstream. I
> can send a proper patch if needed, but I first wanted to know if it was
> worth doing so.

It would be a welcome extension, for sure! See for example bug#36748.

> The function is here:
> https://gist.github.com/ralt/56cac3dbfb9cdb6e36648b5edee2c5ee

Well, I believe the approach does not fly. You shall not use Tramp
internal functions. A better approach would be to make term.el
supporting remote hosts (for example, using start-file-process instead
of start-process). Would you like to work on this?

Note, that for non-trivial contributions to Emacs you would need to
assign the copyright to the Free Software Foundation. Would you be
willing to do that?

> Regards,
> Florian

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp-aware eshell-exec-visual
@ 2019-07-22  7:54   ` Florian Margaine
From: Florian Margaine @ 2019-07-22  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Hi Florian,

Hi Michael,

>> I made some small changes to make eshell-exec-visual tramp-aware, at
>> least for the ssh method.
>>
>> I was wondering if you would be interested in having this upstream. I
>> can send a proper patch if needed, but I first wanted to know if it was
>> worth doing so.
>
> It would be a welcome extension, for sure! See for example bug#36748.

Great!

>> The function is here:
>> https://gist.github.com/ralt/56cac3dbfb9cdb6e36648b5edee2c5ee
>
> Well, I believe the approach does not fly.

Hehe, I kind of expected my naive function to not be suitable for
upstream :)

> You shall not use Tramp internal functions. A better approach would be
> to make term.el supporting remote hosts (for example, using
> start-file-process instead of start-process). Would you like to work
> on this?

I'll try to, but honestly no promise; I scratched my own itch already...

> Note, that for non-trivial contributions to Emacs you would need to
> assign the copyright to the Free Software Foundation. Would you be
> willing to do that?

That shouldn't be an issue.

Regards,
Florian

PS: thanks for the quick and welcoming answer to my email!

@ 2019-07-22  8:16     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2019-07-22  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Margaine; +Cc: emacs-devel

Florian Margaine <florian@platform.sh> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Florian,

>> You shall not use Tramp internal functions. A better approach would be
>> to make term.el supporting remote hosts (for example, using
>> start-file-process instead of start-process). Would you like to work
>> on this?
>
> I'll try to, but honestly no promise; I scratched my own itch already...

Feel free to ask whatever you need.

>> Note, that for non-trivial contributions to Emacs you would need to
>> assign the copyright to the Free Software Foundation. Would you be
>> willing to do that?
>
> That shouldn't be an issue.

Great! See <http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/doc/Copyright>.
The file conditions-text explains what to do. The template
request-assign.future seems to be the best choice, this allows you to
contribute also further code in the future.

> Regards,
> Florian

Best regards, Michael.