Tassilo Horn writes: > Don't panic, Alan! 😁 > > The idea would be to only activate the font-lock rules of org (or markdown-mode, if available) while somehow protecting the package headers and help-mode footer section (i.e., the buttons). But I don't like that idea. I don't think that's a really good idea, since the *Help* buffer is not for only describe-package, its for all purposes. I think converting Org (or Markdown or whatever) to plain text should solve most (if not all) of the problems. Then showing that file shouldn't need any special treatment at all. > > Bye, > Tassilo > > 04.06.2022 16:18:21 Alan Mackenzie : > >> Hello, Tassilo. >> >> On Sat, Jun 04, 2022 at 15:32:10 +0200, Tassilo Horn wrote: >>> Akib Azmain Turja writes: >> >>> Hi Akib, >> >>>> Packages on ELPA or NonGNU ELPA with README.org show pretty >>>> description both with describe-package and web browser.  But after >>>> installing a package, describe-package shows the Org source code, >>>> which contains many useless things (I mean useless for showing in the >>>> *Help* buffer). >> >>>> Isn't it possible to convert README.org to plain text README while >>>> compiling the package, possibly optionally?  Changing package--compile >>>> function should do the job. >> >>> An alternative would be to enable (parts of) org-mode in the *Help* >>> buffer.  I've just tried `M-x describe-package RET corfu RET` which >>> comes with a README.org and then enabling org-mode in the *Help* buffer. >>> That looked really nice and didn't seem to cause bad effects except that >>> the [back] / [forward] buttons stopped working. >> >> No, no, no, no!  Org mode is a highly complicated, obscure mode which is >> NOT part of core Emacs, and mustn't become so.  What you're proposing is >> a slippery slope, where ever greater portions of org mode would get >> pushed into the core, causing ever greater problems for those who do not >> use org mode. >> >> You pointed out one such problem yourself, org mode key bindings will >> take up key binding space currently used by other modes and by users. >> >> Surely the solution has got to be to encourage package authors to write >> plain text (or .texi) documentation, by pointing out the difficulties >> the non-standard .org format creates. >> >>> Bye, >>> Tassilo >> -- Akib Azmain Turja This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key. It's fingerprint is: 7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6 66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5