* Advising interactive commands
@ 2024-07-23  0:16 Ag Ibragimov
From: Ag Ibragimov @ 2024-07-23  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Can someone please clarify my confusion about advising interactive commands? For some reason, I am unable to advise commands with interactive parameters. So, check this out:

(defun my-command (file)
  (interactive (list (read-file-name "Find file: "))))

When called, it prompts to select a file, alright?

Now, if I do this:

(defun my-command-override ()
  (message "running override"))

(advice-add 'my-command :override 'my-command-override)

I expect my new function to run instead, right? And indeed, this works:

(funcall 'my-command) ;; immediately shows the message

However, for whatever reason the following doesn't:

(call-interactively 'my-command)

Meaning, that it doesn't fully override it when called from M-x menu. I mean, it would prompt for the file but only after that it would call my-command-override. Why is that? Is this expected? If it is, how do you advise such commands so they don't show prompts for their parameters?

* Re: Advising interactive commands
@ 2024-07-23  7:52 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2024-07-23  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ag Ibragimov; +Cc: emacs-devel

This paragraph in the doc string of add-function applies here:

If one of FUNCTION or OLDFUN is interactive, then the resulting function
is also interactive.  There are 3 cases:
- FUNCTION is not interactive: the interactive spec of OLDFUN is used.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1