* Emacs allocates unnecessary memory during scrolling
@ 2006-10-16 14:23 MIYOSHI Masanori
From: MIYOSHI Masanori @ 2006-10-16 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs 22 on Windows (and probably on other platforms) allocates
unnecessary memory during scrolling.

The following opearaion reproduces the problem.

o emacs -q
o Evaluate (setq scroll-conservatively 10) on the scratch buffer.
o Type `C-h' to view the HELLO file.
o Type `C-n' on to scroll the window.
o Emacs allocates unnecessary memory during scrolling.

Large files which contains multibyte characters should be better
for reproduction.

Findings are:

This changes seems to have revealed the problem.
> 2006-09-06  Kim F. Storm  <storm@cua.dk>
>
> 	* xdisp.c (pos_visible_p): Remove exact_mode_line_heights_p arg;
> 	so calculate heights even when pos-visible-in-window-p is called
> 	with partially = t.  Don't overshoot last_visible_y in move_it_to.
> 	Return row height and row number in new rowh and vpos args.

In the following call sequences, it->w->ncols_scale_factor is
incremented a number of times.

In xdisp.c:
pos_visible_p()
-> display_mode_line()
-> display_mode_element() ;; case MODE_LINE_DISPLAY:
-> display_string()
-> PRODUCE_GLYPHS()
-> x_produce_glyphs() ;; RIF
-> append_glyph() ;; it->glyph_row->used[area]++
-> IT_EXPAND_MATRIX_WIDTH() ;; it->w->ncols_scale_factor++

In consequence, required_matrix_width() in dispnew.c returns a
large number.  And adjust_glyph_matrix() in dispnew.c allocates
unnecessary large memory for glyphs.

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu san says:

In xdisp.c:
> static int
> display_mode_line (w, face_id, format)
snip
> {
snip
>   init_iterator (&it, w, -1, -1, NULL, face_id);
>   prepare_desired_row (it.glyph_row);

Before prepare_desired_row(), it.glyph_row->enabled_p happens not
to be 0.  This might be caused by the interruption of redisplay
during scrolling.

Appending the next code before prepare_desired_row() may fix the
problem.
> it.glyph_row->enabled_p = 0;
But he doesn't know the place is appropriate or not.

--
MIYOSHI Masanori

* Re: Emacs allocates unnecessary memory during scrolling
@ 2006-10-16 15:04 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-10-16 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

MIYOSHI Masanori <miyoshi@meadowy.org> writes:

> Emacs 22 on Windows (and probably on other platforms) allocates
> unnecessary memory during scrolling.

Thank you for the bug report.

Chong, can you look at it, as I don't have time to dig into it right now?

Maybe a fix would be to operate with it->glyph_row = NULL as we do
elsewhere to just do "display measurements", but that's not a trivial
change to display_string and friends.

@ 2006-10-18 23:27   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-10-18 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: MIYOSHI Masanori, emacs-devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> MIYOSHI Masanori <miyoshi@meadowy.org> writes:
>
>> Emacs 22 on Windows (and probably on other platforms) allocates
>> unnecessary memory during scrolling.
>
> Thank you for the bug report.
>
> Chong, can you look at it, as I don't have time to dig into it right now?
>
> Maybe a fix would be to operate with it->glyph_row = NULL as we do
> elsewhere to just do "display measurements", but that's not a trivial
> change to display_string and friends.

I'm working on several other bugs at the moment, but I'll get round to
this (unless you fix it first).

It's hard for me to debug a "allocates unnecessary memory" complaint;
the memory difference (as reported by top) doesn't seem obviously
larger to me, nor does there appear to be a performance impact.

@ 2006-10-19  9:47     ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-10-19  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: MIYOSHI Masanori, emacs-devel

>>> YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu san says:
>>>
>>> In xdisp.c:
>>> snip
>>> snip
>>>
>>> Before prepare_desired_row(), it.glyph_row->enabled_p happens not
>>> to be 0.  This might be caused by the interruption of redisplay
>>> during scrolling.
>>>
>>> Appending the next code before prepare_desired_row() may fix the
>>> problem.
>>> But he doesn't know the place is appropriate or not.

Looking closer at the code, this is indeed a trivial way to fix the
problem.

I have committed the change.

Thank you.

* Re: Emacs allocates unnecessary memory during scrolling
@ 2006-10-20 11:55       ` MIYOSHI Masanori
From: MIYOSHI Masanori @ 2006-10-20 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Looking closer at the code, this is indeed a trivial way to fix the
> problem.

> I have committed the change.

The problem has been fixed.

Thank you.