* Re: filling long html href
       [not found] <87r6qh17en.fsf@zip.com.au>
@ 2007-04-19 23:17 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-04-19 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Ryde; +Cc: emacs-devel

    I see in fill-move-to-break-point that fill-nobreak-predicate is
    ignored (let bound to nil) if there's no breaks found before
    fill-column.  It seems to me not a good idea to sometimes obey that
    var and sometimes not.

Does anyone recall why that binding was added?

* Re: filling long html href
@ 2007-04-20  1:07   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-04-20  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Kevin Ryde, emacs-devel

>     I see in fill-move-to-break-point that fill-nobreak-predicate is
>     ignored (let bound to nil) if there's no breaks found before
>     fill-column.  It seems to me not a good idea to sometimes obey that
>     var and sometimes not.

> Does anyone recall why that binding was added?

I believe it was just me being confused,

* Re: filling long html href
@ 2007-04-20 14:02     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-04-20 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Kevin Ryde, rms, emacs-devel

>>     I see in fill-move-to-break-point that fill-nobreak-predicate is
>>     ignored (let bound to nil) if there's no breaks found before
>>     fill-column.  It seems to me not a good idea to sometimes obey that
>>     var and sometimes not.
>
>> Does anyone recall why that binding was added?
>
> I believe it was just me being confused,

OK, I checked it in.  Thanks.

* Re: filling long html href
@ 2007-04-20 14:10       ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-04-20 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Kevin Ryde, rms, emacs-devel

>>>     I see in fill-move-to-break-point that fill-nobreak-predicate is
>>>     ignored (let bound to nil) if there's no breaks found before
>>>     fill-column.  It seems to me not a good idea to sometimes obey that
>>>     var and sometimes not.
>>
>>> Does anyone recall why that binding was added?
>>
>> I believe it was just me being confused,
>
> OK, I checked it in.  Thanks.

Actually, on second thought, this should probably wait till after the
release.  The current code has been in there for > 4 years, without a
complaint till now, and the current bug is more of a nuisance than a
significant problem.

So I reverted that patch for now.

* Re: filling long html href
@ 2007-04-20 18:21         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-04-20 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Kevin Ryde, rms, emacs-devel

>>> I believe it was just me being confused,
>>
>> OK, I checked it in.  Thanks.

> Actually, on second thought, this should probably wait till after the
> release.  The current code has been in there for > 4 years, without a
> complaint till now, and the current bug is more of a nuisance than a
> significant problem.

But this is new behavior compared to Emacs-21.4.  It's not a significant
problem, but it's not an improvement either.

> So I reverted that patch for now.

I installed it (and I haven't seen where/when you'd installed yours: doesn't
appear in the ChangeLog).

* Re: filling long html href
@ 2007-04-20 18:39           ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-04-20 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Kevin Ryde, rms, emacs-devel

>>> OK, I checked it in.  Thanks.
>
>> Actually, on second thought, this should probably wait till after the
>> release.  The current code has been in there for > 4 years, without a
>> complaint till now, and the current bug is more of a nuisance than a
>> significant problem.
>
> But this is new behavior compared to Emacs-21.4.  It's not a significant
> problem, but it's not an improvement either.
>
>> So I reverted that patch for now.
>
> I installed it (and I haven't seen where/when you'd installed yours: doesn't
> appear in the ChangeLog).

OK.