Dan Nicolaescu writes: > michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes: > > > Dan Nicolaescu writes: > > > > > I think it would be good if set-file-modes would display the current > > > modes in symbolic form in the prompt for changing them. > > > > Displaying the current modes is probably a good thing to do, but putting > > it in the prompt in order to be changed seems weird: when the modes are > > expressed in symbolic notation, they are used as a *mask* against the > > current modes, not a simple modification. > > Maybe a more intuitive thing we can do is to prompt the following : > > > > "File modes, octal or symbolic (current: -r-xrw---):" > > This form is exactly what I had in mind. This format is familiar to > people from "ls -l". If users request something else, it can be changed > later, but this should do for now. Obviously, this is all IMHO... Following that proposition, on which we agreed, here's a patch.