* Release plans
@ 2008-07-14 15:07 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-07-14 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Just a reminder: we will begin the feature freeze for Emacs 23.1 at the
end of this month.

The original plan was to merge CEDET in time for the freeze.  However,
this isn't going to happen because of a delay in legal paperwork;
hopefully, CEDET will be included in 23.2.

Emacs.app (the new Cocoa port) will be merged sometime this week.

As for Emacs 22.3, bugfixes made to the trunk should be backported,
where safe and appropriate, to the Emacs 22 branch.  This backporting of
fixes will carry on throughout the Emacs 23 testing period, so that both
the trunk and the branch can benefit from the bugfixing effort.  If
things work out, we can make the Emacs 22.3 minor release during the
Emacs 23 pretest.  If you see an existing bugfix in the trunk that you
think should go into the Emacs 22 branch, please email the commiter with
a reminder to check it into the branch (or email emacs-devel).

I'd like to request volunteers for going through the Emacs 23
documentation.  The Emacs manual and Emacs Lisp manual need to be
updated with the information in etc/NEWS.  If you would like to help,
please email me.

Finally, if you are a naughty person who has not added a proper entry to
etc/NEWS for your new code, please do it as soon as possible (or ask
someone for help).

Thanks.

* Re: Release plans
@ 2008-07-30  9:58 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-07-30  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

From: dhruva @ 2008-07-31  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie, Richard M Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello,

From: dhruva @ 2008-08-05  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie, Richard M. Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hello,

From: A Soare @ 2008-08-12 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>     Windows hardly matters anymore.
>
>     Windows is not growing much in functionality...
>
> Windows is important as a problem as long as it is non-free and
> considerable numbers of people keep using it.  It is clear that when
> you say it "hardly matters" you are thinking of some other criterion.

I have never known in all my life a person using windows that thought to use emacs. All persons that I knew and wanted to (learn lisp)/(use emacs) used linux or MAC OSX.

So a considerable number of peuple use Windows, but (almost) never Emacs in Windows.

Avant de prendre le volant, repérez votre itinéraire et visualisez le trafic ! http://itineraire.voila.fr/itineraire.html

* Re: Release plans
@ 2008-08-12 13:11 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2008-08-12 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> A Soare wrote:
> >>     Windows hardly matters anymore.
> >>
> >>     Windows is not growing much in functionality...
> >>
> >> Windows is important as a problem as long as it is non-free and
> >> considerable numbers of people keep using it.  It is clear that when
> >> you say it "hardly matters" you are thinking of some other criterion.
> >
> > I have never known in all my life a person using windows that thought to use emacs. All persons that I knew and wanted to (learn lisp)/(use emacs) used linux or MAC OSX.
> >
> > So a considerable number of peuple use Windows, but (almost) never Emacs in Windows.
>

> What is your thoughts about that? Is there something to learn from it?
> Is there something to investigate?

Quite so! Investing energy to develop it under Windows is (almost) loss of energy!

I know a few cases of _good_ programmers at google, microsoft, etc that never thought to use emacs.

The reason: Windows has nicer environments to write C++, Delphi, C# etc. (that is what they told me). I have never used Windows in all my life. I have been using linux for more that 15 years.

And since I have began to use emacs (2005), I use just emacs all the day. But at the beginning I did an effort to understand it. That is what peuple does not like : to make effort to understand something that they can have without energy.

Emacs and Linux is used just by peuple that wants to understand how things work.

Windows is used by peuple that want to gain money and to arrive quiqkly at their purpose.

From all my experience (all what I saw), windows interface for emacs is as important as the file ./etc/sex.6 in emacs' sources.

@ 2008-08-12 13:37 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2008-08-12 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> A Soare wrote:

> >> What is your thoughts about that? Is there something to learn from it?
> >> Is there something to investigate?
> >>

> > Quite so! Investing energy to develop it under Windows is (almost) loss of energy!
>
> Yes, I understood that this is what you meant. But in what way did you
> reach this conclusion?

By induction. I do not use Windows, and in linux I use emacs for lots of purposes.

> > I know a few cases of _good_ programmers at google, microsoft, etc that never thought to use emacs.
> >
> > The reason: Windows has nicer environments to write C++, Delphi, C# etc. (that is what they told me).
>
> Then how can it be good to develop Emacs under any operating system?

In Emacs under Linux for Linux!

> > That is what peuple does not like : to make effort to understand something that they can have without energy.
>
> Don't you think that those programmers did invest quite a lot of effort
> in understanding the software they are using now?

Friend and collegueas: yes, they had good marks at the faculty. They deposed much effort to learn.

> > Emacs and Linux is used just by peuple that wants to understand how things work.
>
> Do you say that there is no use for Emacs?

In windows, yes, that is what I say. In Windows it is completely unuseful.

> > Windows is used by peuple that want to gain money and to arrive quiqkly at their purpose.
>
> Do you say that using Emacs makes it take long time to do things?

It takes little time when you have already learned how to use it. The first time when you did a thing, you will never choose something different. Here is the point: the psychology. Peuple prefers never to make the first effort, and they prefer to use something to arrive quickly at the point.

> >>From all my experience (all what I saw), windows interface for emacs is as important as the file ./etc/sex.6 in emacs' sources.
>
> Are you saying that this is the only part of Emacs that we should keep ;-)

Yes, Emacs in Linux is nice.

@ 2008-08-12 13:51 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2008-08-12 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > That is what peuple does not like : to make effort to understand something that they can have without energy.
>
> Don't you think that those programmers did invest quite a lot of effort
> in understanding the software they are using now?

Yes, they did inverst lots of energy. But what was the purpose of their investment?

Evidently, in 99% of the cases, they wanted to have a good job to gain money.

To get a good job, they could pass of emacs.

That depends of the ideals of peuple. If you want to correctly choose the solution if it worth investing energy about developing emacs in windows, then you shuld investigate the mentality (the ideals, the value systems) of many peuple in many places in the world.

@ 2008-08-12 14:34 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2008-08-12 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> >> Yes, I understood that this is what you meant. But in what way did you
> >> reach this conclusion?
> >
> > By induction. I do not use Windows, and in linux I use emacs for lots of purposes.
>
> So you mean that for you personal benefits there is no use in developing
> Emacs under Windows? ;-)

I do not say that for _my_benefit_. I say that in general almost nobody use emacs in windows. There are exceptions, quite so. But I have never seen exceptions.

> >> Then how can it be good to develop Emacs under any operating system?
> >
> > In Emacs under Linux for Linux!
>
> Did you mention any reason that I did not notice?

Personally I always use emacs, and I need nothing else. I tell _exactly_ what I heard that the others say. For me it is not useful under windows, and I have never heard a windows user to use it.

> >> Do you say that there is no use for Emacs?
> >
> > In windows, yes, that is what I say. In Windows it is completely unuseful.
>
> Then why is there a use for it under Linux? It seems like you are saying
> that software under Linux is inferior to the corresponding software
> under Windows and because of this Emacs can be useful on Linux.

No, there is no contradiction in what I say.

I heard many programmers that they prefer use under GNU Linux others editors. The same reason: they want to gain money easy in my opinion.

What choose everybody depends only of his _education_. Of his values. If you tell soebody "Emacs is written profesionnaly and you can learn looking at its sources" does not have the same effect on every person. The majority of peuple will say (I quote a programmer from gooooogle ) : "Yes, emacs is nice, but I do not like emacs, because I want to gain money, and others programmers will copy-paste the open source projects, and they will steal me the projects" . And he never used emacs.

In linux there are others C/C++ development environments than emacs that can be used without effort.

This discution is enless: the best is to put a button on emacs' page and to ask peuple to vote if they need emacs under windows, and the reason why they do.

> If that is the case why is it Emacs we develop and not something better?

I heard many saying that there are better development. If you say "emacs is written in lisp, so it is very customisable" they will say "oui, mais je peux me passer d'emacs et me debrouiller facilement avec d'autres."

> >> Do you say that using Emacs makes it take long time to do things?
> >
> > It takes little time when you have already learned how to use it.
>  > The first time when you did a thing, you will never choose something
> different.
>  > Here is the point: the psychology. Peuple prefers never to make the
> first effort,
>  > and they prefer to use something to arrive quickly at the point.
>
> Can we use that point to do something actively? Can we make Emacs better
> in a way that it satisfies those people's need? (Still not sacrifiying
> other things.)

This is like demanding to a cannibal "do you want to become a chretien"? Not taking into account a famous tribe of cannibals that died because they lost their native croyance in cannibalisme, the question whether the user want to use emacs does not depend on emacs. But on his values in which he is educated.

So my answer is: this is not a question for programmers, but for educators and family.

>  >>> > emacs is as important as the file ./etc/sex.6 in emacs' sources.
> >> Are you saying that this is the only part of Emacs that we should keep ;-)
> >
> > Yes, Emacs in Linux is nice.
>
> Why is the file etc/sex.6 so nice so that we should keep only that on
> Linux? ;-)

From my viewpoint, all the modules for windows are _not_ useful, i.e. they have the same usefulness as this file.

@ 2008-08-12 15:34 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2008-08-12 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> >> Are you sure? Didn't you say that the developers you know do not use
> >> Emacs on Windows because there are better software for their purpose on
> >> Windows? And didn't you mean that you trust them?
> >
> > If you think at the definition of "good-better-best" from _their_
>  > viewpoint, there is no contradiction.
>
> Yes, that is right. But are you not overlooking the possibility that the
> software they use might be superior even if not making fast money is
> your goal?

We are looping again. I told you: everything depends of education. No, from my viewpoint emacs is better. But in the same time I realise that from their viewpoint other editors are better. I tolerate their education.

> >> Note: It looks like your mail program does something that Thunderbird
> >> does not expect at all. Thunderbird does not wrap the lines when
> >> commenting on your text. Do you know the reason? (It takes a lot of time
> >> that this does not work.)
>  >
> > I am sorry, I do not understand... :(
>
> All the text in one paragraph stays on one long line that is not
> wrapped. There is a commenting mark at the beginning of the line like here:
>
> > Avant de prendre le volant, repérez votre itinéraire et visualisez le trafic ! http://itineraire.voila.fr/itineraire.html

Now I see. Voila.

@ 2008-08-12 18:04 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2008-08-12 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > I told you: everything depends of education.
>  > No, from my viewpoint emacs is better.
> > But in the same time I realise that from their viewpoint other editors are better.
>  > I tolerate their education.
>
> But does not that mean that you say that your education is better? That
> you have learned something that they have not (yet)?

The word good-best-better is a kind of recursion in nature.

To solve the bugs, I must add to the definition:

 "best-better-good can be applied to objects that belong to the same space. One cannot compare 2 objects from different worlds using this word. In the Kant's language, one says that our mind cannot find a common category in order to apply this word to that category".

If you take care about this definition, the loop dissapears. It reduces to discrimination. If you go on with further this discussion, you make discrimination. Everything is relative to this world. A fish cannot say that he leaves better than a man, and vice versa.

> > Now I see. Voila.
>
> It would be nice if you find a way to fix the line wrapping (and told
> the developers of the software that is malfunctioning of course).

You did not understand. The web site where I have my pretty and most lovely mail account add this banner.

@ 2008-08-12 18:36 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2008-08-12 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > Maybe, but what i wanted to say was that you mail program does not work
> > ok. So perhaps it would be best if you used some other mail program.
>
> Or maybe it is rather a bug in Thunderbird client? I can see now that
> the lines gets wrapped in my reply, but I have trouble reading your
> message in Thunderbird when I am editing my reply.
>
> This is quite annoying. Is there anyone who understand what is wrong?

I correct you just a remark: I wrote the message using OPERA!

http://www.opera.com/

@ 2008-08-12 18:38 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2008-08-12 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > From: A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr>
> > Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:21:03 +0200 (CEST)
> >

> > I have never known in all my life a person using windows that
> > thought to use emacs.
>
> I see them every day on my daytime job.
>
> > So a considerable number of peuple use Windows, but (almost) never Emacs in Windows.
>
> Not in my experience.

I wanted just to express my *egocentric* experience.

@ 2008-08-12 18:41 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2008-08-12 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > From: A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr>
> > Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:37:22 +0200 (CEST)
> > Cc: "Emacs   Dev  \[emacs-devel\]" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> >
> > > Yes, I understood that this is what you meant. But in what way did you
> > > reach this conclusion?
> >
> > By induction.
>
> "Induction" as in "1 is a prime number, 2 is a prime number, 3 is a
> prime number; so by induction, every number is prime."

In my case the initial hypothesis is true; the general case is false:

1. initial: X1 X2 ... Xn do not use Emacs

2. general: nobody uses Emacs

@ 2008-08-12 18:54 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2008-08-12 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > In my case the initial hypothesis is true; the general case is false:
> >
> > 1. initial: X1 X2 ... Xn do not use Emacs
> >
> > 2. general: nobody uses Emacs
>

> Is not that extrapolation rather than induction? ;-)

Maybe, I do not know. Induction is surely.

@ 2008-08-12 18:57 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2008-08-12 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > In my case the initial hypothesis is true; the general case is false:
> >
> > 1. initial: X1 X2 ... Xn do not use Emacs
> >
> > 2. general: nobody uses Emacs
>
> Because your n is too small, obviously.

Even for a great n, this reasonement would be wrong.

@ 2008-08-12 20:16 christophe
From: christophe @ 2008-08-12 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM,  <emacs-devel-request@gnu.org> wrote:
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:37:48 -0700
> From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
> Subject: Re: Release plans
> To: Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>, ich@frank-schmitt.net,
>        rms@gnu.org,    emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Miles Bader wrote:
>> Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net> writes:
>>
>>> The more urgent issue concerns the emerging W3C-based world:
>>> what will GNU have to offer there?
>>>

>> Hopefully, an alternative...
>>

> That's pithy but I don't actually get it.   Why call for an alternative?

Maybe the lack of freedom in today's Web architecture. In his
dissertation, Roy T. Fielding describes REST as an architectural
style. According to him, «examples of architectural styles include the
"null style" (which has no constrains at all), pipe and filter,
client/server, distributed objects and — you guessed it — REST» (1).
As i said elsewhere, internet is by nature a decentralized network, so
distributed architectures will prevail sooner or later... While I
appreciate your analysis and share most of your points, i agree with
RMS about the lack of freedom in the design of the web...

A Quote from Mr. Paul Stacey:
«Peer-to-peer systems have existed since the first incarnation of the
Internet. In recent times the Internet has taken on a more
hierarchical form, power has been taken away from the individual and
placed in the hands of operators of large servers. However, with the
re-emergence of p2p the individual is gaining more freedom. End users
attached to the Internet now have the power to host and publish
content through the user of p2p technologies...»
(Stacey, Paul, "Peer-to-peer searching and sharing of electronic
documents" (2004). Masters. Paper 9.)
( http://arrow.dit.ie/engmas/9 )

Hope this can help.

christophe

(1) http://mauriziostorani.wordpress.com/2008/07/27/rest-representational-state-transfer-and-restful-web-services-concepts-and-examples/

* Re: Release plans
@ 2008-08-12 20:51 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2008-08-12 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> >> Is not that extrapolation rather than induction? ;-)
> >
> > Maybe, I do not know. Induction is surely.
>
> Maybe this is not the place for math education, but you are missing one
> piece to make it induction:
>
> - There should be something that asserts that the condition holds also
> for next step.
>
> It might happen even to you that you meat a person who uses Emacs on
> windows ...

Sure , you are right . A good thing for you to do is to read my code of indentation and to help me document it better before installing it.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-08/msg00437.html

*****

From my knowledge, induction has 2 steps:

1. prove that initial cond. is true. and suppose that it is also true for some N

2. prove using these 2 propositions that it is also valid for N+1

I quote: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction

l'induction est étudiée en philosophie ; c'est une démarche intellectuelle familière qui consiste à procéder par inférence probable, c'est-à-dire à déduire des lois par généralisation des observations. Par exemple, en l'absence de toute connaissance scientifique en astronomie, la plupart des gens s'attendent à voir le Soleil se lever le lendemain matin. Au sein du travail scientifique, et à condition de bien en mesurer les limites, l'induction peut trouver sa place. Par exemple, l'accumulation d'études monographiques peut conduire à formuler, par généralisation, des propositions relatives au changement social. Mais il ne s'agit pas là d'inductivisme, car les chercheurs sont orientés dans leurs observations monographiques par une problématique théorique qui guide leur construction des faits.
En mathématiques, en logique et en informatique, l'induction complète, aujourd'hui très souvent abrégée en induction, est une autre façon de désigner la récurrence : aussi bien le raisonnement par récurrence que les définitions par récurrence.

L'induction en revanche génère du sens en passant des faits à la loi, du particulier au général.

@ 2008-08-13  1:30 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2008-08-13  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> It has been known for programmers enamoured of the Windows OS to complain
> quite loudly at the lack of a "decent editor" in Unix.  ;-)

I heard this many times too.

The users (i.e. programmers) will choose almost always estetic editors. So this ideal must be considered in order to keep peuple using it.

The great ideal of emacs should be that all its modules work well.

This idea is expressed in one word (sorry, in one image) by IAS seal:

http://www.ias.edu/midcom-serveattachmentguid-f05347fcb97955f36a78b35d9ae6a202/IAS_Logo_for_%20Simonyi_Color.jpg

Avant de prendre le volant, repérez votre itinéraire et visualisez le trafic ! http://itineraire.voila.fr/itineraire.html

[parent not found: <SRV-ADEXCHyjlMFAVNL0000090e@waccglobal.org>]
* Re: Release plans
@ 2008-08-14 15:36 Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2008-08-14 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

    > Whether one loads proprietary modules into the kernel is a personal
    > decision and I don't like deciding for other people.

No; it is not a personal decision.  When you load proprietary modules,
you are telling those who pay attention that you do not mind restricting
yourself.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         bob@gnu.org